Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

9281 - 9300 of 12874 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,281
Ok Im just getting into Hotshot and this may have been asked in this long @$$ thread but I really dont want to search for it in almost 9300 posts. your signature says you are completely deleted, does the DOT give you any problems, Im guessing not. I just got a 2011 and its fully stock and I want more power and better fuel mileage. Its relatively low mileage at just over 30k miles. Im in the process of getting my Class A CDL right now, and will hopefully get a trailer here within the next week. I want to delete it but since i live about 1000' away from a large DOT checkpoint I will get pulled over and I do not want any issues.

I have never had a problem, even in California. I have heard of people being checked for deletes but it’s always their mothers bothers cousins uncle’s friend Jim bob, never directly from the source...
In all the hotshot pages I frequent, I have never seen a single person get a ticket for it.
If you want to go the extra mile just for added insurance, you could gut the dpf and put it back on. That way everything looks stock.
Dot will check to make sure you have a muffler in some states. Iv had Colorado climb under my truck for that.

Good luck with the new venture! If you have any more questions there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have never had a problem, even in California. I have heard of people being checked for deletes but it’s always their mothers bothers cousins uncle’s friend Jim bob, never directly from the source...
In all the hotshot pages I frequent, I have never seen a single person get a ticket for it.
If you want to go the extra mile just for added insurance, you could gut the dpf and put it back on. That way everything looks stock.
Dot will check to make sure you have a muffler in some states. Iv had Colorado climb under my truck for that.

Good luck with the new venture! If you have any more questions there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this thread

I have been eyeing this exhaust and I have heard it on a friends truck, its not too loud. They do crawl under the trucks here. I see them break out the creepers all the time, that's why it concerns me. I'm in Texas and as far as a state inspection is concerned, they only do a safety inspection (lights, blinkers, horn and whatnot).

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-8398-afe-mach-force-xp-5-down-pipe-back-stainless-exhaust-11-15-gm-duramax.aspx

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,283
I have been eyeing this exhaust and I have heard it on a friends truck, its not too loud. They do crawl under the trucks here. I see them break out the creepers all the time, that's why it concerns me. I'm in Texas and as far as a state inspection is concerned, they only do a safety inspection (lights, blinkers, horn and whatnot).

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-8398-afe-mach-force-xp-5-down-pipe-back-stainless-exhaust-11-15-gm-duramax.aspx

As long as your county doesn’t have emissions testing you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And I only have safety for diesels in the county I'm in

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,852 Posts
I guess that answers my question. I was wondering if the black grill trucks came with a black surround but its chrome....I guess I'll keep looking. I want to totally black the grill and shell but can't find a shell in black.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I guess that answers my question. I was wondering if the black grill trucks came with a black surround but its chrome....I guess I'll keep looking. I want to totally black the grill and shell but can't find a shell in black.
I used this stuff to get my chrome black. Cleaned the chrome with denatured alcohol, then just shot this on. Hasnt chipped yet, and I have done plasti dip and spray paint previously, none of them last the winter, this bedliner in a can is absolutely awesome though..

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I used this stuff to get my chrome black. Cleaned the chrome with denatured alcohol, then just shot this on. Hasnt chipped yet, and I have done plasti dip and spray paint previously, none of them last the winter, this bedliner in a can is absolutely awesome though..

Used that for rust mitigation under my mud guard on the front fender. Seems to be holding up great to the constant rubbing of the guard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Ok Im just getting into Hotshot and this may have been asked in this long @$$ thread but I really dont want to search for it in almost 9300 posts. your signature says you are completely deleted, does the DOT give you any problems, Im guessing not. I just got a 2011 and its fully stock and I want more power and better fuel mileage. Its relatively low mileage at just over 30k miles. Im in the process of getting my Class A CDL right now, and will hopefully get a trailer here within the next week. I want to delete it but since i live about 1000' away from a large DOT checkpoint I will get pulled over and I do not want any issues.
I have an lml and it's stealth deleted (appears stock underneath) I'm also dot and have never been hassled. I can hook you up with tunes and advice on how to perform the stealth delete if you are interested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an lml and it's stealth deleted (appears stock underneath) I'm also dot and have never been hassled. I can hook you up with tunes and advice on how to perform the stealth delete if you are interested.

^^^ this fellow can get you some of the best tunes!

Lets take this to the thread i just started. I dont want to hijack this thread with my questions.

>>> http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/947841-texas-hot-shot-drivers-can-i-delete.html <<<

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Lets take this to the thread i just started. I dont want to hijack this thread with my questions.

>>> http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/947841-texas-hot-shot-drivers-can-i-delete.html <<<
Better keeping it right here. This has become catch all thread for professional drivers. You will get the most accurate information and best advice right here. No worries about derailing, this thread went back to the future 3 a long time ago

·
Registered
105 Posts
Better keeping it right here. This has become catch all thread for professional drivers. You will get the most accurate information and best advice right here. No worries about derailing, this thread went back to the future 3 a long time ago

OK well with that being said.........

I have been thinking about this, I have a friend with a gutted DPF sitting in his shop right now. I was thinking of building a bi-mode muffler inside the original DPF and a resonator out of the Cat. A little history on me. I build 3" Modded Corvette mufflers. I cut the original mufflers completely apart and completely rebuild them to free up the restriction inside the muffler and make it sound louder and better than factory. Then on the quiet side, make it quieter than factory. Since starting this I have an understanding on how mufflers work and how sound waves work. I have an idea on how to build a bi-mode muffler with the original DPF housing. I just gotta source a 4" valve. So i can have the free flow and sound of a straight pipe and have the nice quiet side when i want it to be quiet.

here is a video of my old Z06 with these mufflers so you have an idea.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The hollowed dpf already acts as a resonator and really quiets it done especially with a hiss tune. Problem with a valve is it is obvious and straight pipe will drive you nuts anyways

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

I have been thinking about this, I have a friend with a gutted DPF sitting in his shop right now. I was thinking of building a bi-mode muffler inside the original DPF and a resonator out of the Cat. A little history on me. I build 3" Modded Corvette mufflers. I cut the original mufflers completely apart and completely rebuild them to free up the restriction inside the muffler and make it sound louder and better than factory. Then on the quiet side, make it quieter than factory. Since starting this I have an understanding on how mufflers work and how sound waves work. I have an idea on how to build a bi-mode muffler with the original DPF housing. I just gotta source a 4" valve. So i can have the free flow and sound of a straight pipe and have the nice quiet side when i want it to be quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlhDmw5Ay8Y&t=1s
Just reread this. Guess I didn't get what you were saying. I don't know what the internal structure of a vette muffler looks like but I would bet there's plenty of room inside the dpf canister to do something

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,255 Posts
39*, wind and steady drizzle all day long. :crazydance

Marvelous. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,297

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlhDmw5Ay8Y&t=1s

What do you charge for the exhaust mods. My dads z06 will desperately need to be opened up with the built motor we’re putting in. He really likes the dual mode for highway cruising

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
straight pipe will drive you nuts anyways

Amen to that. I hauled a tractor (tractor+trailer was close to 18k) about 500 miles with my old LB7, which at the time was straight piped (5"). I thought my head was gonna explode, went out and bought a muffler the next day. Have a Aeroturbine 5050XL muffler/resonator on my current truck, does good with cutting drone, truck is manageable at lower throttle, but still sounds very healthy when you really get on it. The FTE resonators are supposed to be pretty good as well.

9281 - 9300 of 12874 Posts