Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

13161 - 13180 of 13278 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,161
First attempt at body work ever. So far seems to be going decent.
Started by stitching it together with zip ties, and super glue to hold it all together. Removed zip ties, ground down the glue to be flush then hot staples.
The metton plastic hood doesn’t melt very easy but the hot stapler seems to be working.
Then a little fiberglass to fill the holes.
Next step will be bondo’s plastic bumper repair kit, fill and sand around all the cracks.

I’m going to leave it unpainted for the time being. If it all holds together the fenders will be raptor lined inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,162
Small start on shop insulation. Rain was creating condensation on the walls, so they’re going to have to come back to finish.
Will be nice to have a heated shop this winter, hopefully I can get a 12’ or 13’ door put on at some point and get the w9 inside.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You're gonna love that spray foam insulation. Stuff works wonders

Reactions: kowclub173

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,164
You're gonna love that spray foam insulation. Stuff works wonders
What I can’t believe is, it was about $800 cheaper to have someone do it vs me buying the froth packs and doing it myself.
1900 square foot shop with 10’ walls 2” thick. I believe r15 value. $2700.
Seemed like a deal.

·
Premium Member
9,044 Posts
What I can’t believe is, it was about $800 cheaper to have someone do it vs me buying the froth packs and doing it myself.
1900 square foot shop with 10’ walls 2” thick. I believe r15 value. $2700.
Seemed like a deal.

Send those boys my way. I got a $9500 quote to do mine.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,167
Send those boys my way. I got a $9500 quote to do mine.

First quote I got was around the same for mine, which I found ridiculous because they quoted me less to do my house than they did my shop.

Found these guys on Facebook market place. Had about a half dozen other quotes ranging from 2700-4,000.

Reactions: M.A.M.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Body work looks good. Did you hot staple the inside also? Since its easy to get to the inside, might be cheap help to prevent the crack from propagating from the inside out. I've seen some stuff put together with those staples, and then covered in filler. Holds up remarkably well.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,169
Body work looks good. Did you hot staple the inside also? Since its easy to get to the inside, might be cheap help to prevent the crack from propagating from the inside out. I've seen some stuff put together with those staples, and then covered in filler. Holds up remarkably well.
I just did the hot staples on the outside. They didn’t melt in as well as I’d hoped. This plastic tried to burn a bit more than melt.
On the inside i went a bit more liberal with the fiberglass and a few different epoxies.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,357 Posts
Any word on the police report and whether the driver had insurance? Repairs are looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,171
Any word on the police report and whether the driver had insurance? Repairs are looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got the police report last night. Other driver had usaa and she was cited with failure to yield.
Talked with her insurance today.
My only concern right now is, they want to send out an adjuster to look over the damages. Well right now the truck pretty much looks like nothing ever happened so not sure how that is going to go.
Hopefully they don’t put up too much of a fight since I have an estimate on the truck showing 11k in damage and plenty of pictures of my bandaid repairs.
The other fun argument will be loss of wages.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Got the police report last night. Other driver had usaa and she was cited with failure to yield.
My only concern right now is, they want to send out an adjuster to look over the damages. Well right now the truck pretty much looks like nothing ever happened so not sure how that is going to go.
Hopefully they don’t put up too much of a fight since I have an estimate on the truck showing 11k in damage and plenty of pictures of my bandaid repairs.

You had to get it back on the road. It's your Living after all.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,173
You had to get it back on the road. It's your Living after all.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Exactly. I’m just afraid they will want to fight to say my hood is/was repairable and try to cut the cost way down. I want paid for what it would cost to bring the truck back to what it was.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Graham, don't know if this helps or not. I have USAA and have never had an issue with them paying for damages. However, I have not been in an accident where I caused damage to someone else's vehicle. Good luck Bro.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't have USAA, but my brother does. For their clients they fight with repair shops to return the vehicle to before. His receiver on the truck was bent from a rear collision and the shop ordered one from the dealer 3x and it did not match, they would not put it on b/c the inspector would have failed it. Last parts guy to deliver it knew that they made a change in the design so they did not look the same (i think new design was round tube vs square tube) so they put it on. And yes the inspector pointed it out.

·
Registered
20,040 Posts

go get more quotes. Get 2-3 total.

they can’t argue that fact then.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Graham, don't know if this helps or not. I have USAA and have never had an issue with them paying for damages. However, I have not been in an accident where I caused damage to someone else's vehicle. Good luck Bro.
Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,178
Just got word from her insurance that she only has 10k in property damage coverage. A portion of which will be going to the city.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How can you have that little? Don't most start higher than that? I have 100k/300k & I thought I was a bit low.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I thought 100k/300k was the minimum you could have maybe it varies by states I also thought property damage was also not part of liability money for vehicle repairs just for property damage like yards signs buildings and so forth guess I'm wrong

13161 - 13180 of 13278 Posts