Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
13801 - 13818 of 13818 Posts

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,058 Posts
That could have been bad. Glad you’re ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Jesus!

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Holy $h!t!

Reactions: kowclub173

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,807 ·
Definitely had someone above looking out for the people in the van and myself.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Used to see vehicles crashed into walls all the time driving nights. People falling asleep at the wheel. Worst was when others pull over to the other side of the road and force a near collusion.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,809 ·
Used to see vehicles crashed into walls all the time driving nights. People falling asleep at the wheel. Worst was when others pull over to the other side of the road and force a near collusion.
Iv had that a few times. People’s reaction to a wreck almost caused a bigger problem.
I keep thinking about how bad it would have been if there was a vehicle next to me or even just if he want as far over as he was. I just barely made that squeeze.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Iv had that a few times. People’s reaction to a wreck almost caused a bigger problem.
I keep thinking about how bad it would have been if there was a vehicle next to me or even just if he want as far over as he was. I just barely made that squeeze.

What was the story with the van? How did they end up how they were?

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Craziest thing I seen was south of Milwaukee. 4 lane interstate car in left most lane hit center concrete divider bounced off crossed 4 lanes stuck the trailer tandems of the truck in front of me traveling in the the right most lane. Bounced off went back across the 4 lanes to the center divider. Bounced back off and back across the 4 lanes into the ditch of tall swamp grass.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,813 ·
What was the story with the van? How did they end up how they were?
My only guess is distracted or asleep and bounced off the barrier on the bridge.

By the time I had processed what had just happened I was to far away to stop. Another driver that passed me later said he did not see anything so he must have drove away after I went by.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,815 ·
Craziest thing I seen was south of Milwaukee. 4 lane interstate car in left most lane hit center concrete divider bounced off crossed 4 lanes stuck the trailer tandems of the truck in front of me traveling in the the right most lane. Bounced off went back across the 4 lanes to the center divider. Bounced back off and back across the 4 lanes into the ditch of tall swamp grass.
Sounds like rough ride for them! Damn

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I once watched a car make a hard left out of the right lane on the interstate into the left lane, to make a correction back to the right lane, across the shoulder, down the slight embankment making another correction in the "ditch" at the bottom to come back up the embankment, "CLEAR THE SHOULDER AND LAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 2 LANES", make another correction as it crossed the left yellow line and then correct back to straight in the right lane.

I was just over 100 yards behind this as it unfolded.

Another time, I was headed up I45 in Houston to see the debris cloud of dirt appear as a car launched up the embankment doing a 1/2 roll in mid air, another complete roll on the ground, the skid to a stop in the young trees (less than 3 years old). Came back by 4 hrs later and nothing but skid marks in the dirt left.

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
416 Posts
4.10s at highway speed 70-75 in 6th would get you into a pretty sweet rpm spot I'm thinking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do YOU think is a "rpm sweet spot".....for which series Duramax. Discuss, please?

Let me explain why I am puzzled. Diesels are relatively long-strong motors, meaning relatively higher piston speeds than a spark ignition motor. In both cases, within certain limits the LOWER the rpm the less energy wasted as friction.

In my own case, my 3.73 geared 2013 3500 "dualie" tows nicely at ANY speed. Both my loads are "bumper pulls"...both weigh approx. 11,000 lbs. Given the outstanding Allison, with its wide choice of transmission ratios, I can't imagine why anyone would want a lower rear axle ratio absent towing loads significantly over design limits of our vehicles.

I find that 1,600-1,800 rpm gets me about overall 11 mpg average here in the mountain west. That's a road-speed in the area of 60-65 mph. Obviously, the slightest head-wind and/or grades dramatically reduce fuel mileage. Even with very effective electric brakes on my two axle "toy-box", and equally effective "surge" hydraulic brakes on my three axle boat trailer, I am not convinced towing with our size vehicles above 65 mph is a wise safety practice.

I should qualify my above remarks by acknowledging I have a truck because I need it to tow my trailers. So my use may not be typical for some of you who have Duramaxs but do not use them as trucks.

Yes, on the rare occasions we've had to use it as if it were a passenger car - meaning, without a load. In that event, given appropriate road conditions.... yes, 70-75 mph to keep up with passenger car traffic dosn't seem to be unreasonable to me.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,818 ·
I once watched a car make a hard left out of the right lane on the interstate into the left lane, to make a correction back to the right lane, across the shoulder, down the slight embankment making another correction in the "ditch" at the bottom to come back up the embankment, "CLEAR THE SHOULDER AND LAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 2 LANES", make another correction as it crossed the left yellow line and then correct back to straight in the right lane.

I was just over 100 yards behind this as it unfolded.

Another time, I was headed up I45 in Houston to see the debris cloud of dirt appear as a car launched up the embankment doing a 1/2 roll in mid air, another complete roll on the ground, the skid to a stop in the young trees (less than 3 years old). Came back by 4 hrs later and nothing but skid marks in the dirt left.
Texas drivers are wild

13801 - 13818 of 13818 Posts