Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what everyone doing when the sleeves won't fit over new inner tie rods? Tried to replace the drivers side inner with Moog PS's and they seem too large in diameter. Is this known and I missed the info? Getting ready to bring the sleeves into the shop and mill them out. I can't imagine it'll weaken them much, but not sure.
Kinda need to get this done ASAP since my sticker expired 6 months ago, and really need to have it inspected.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wait the hole through the rod is smaller than the tie rod? The tie rod has to come off to slip in over the rod and thread on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they might have just had rust in them, but the Moog's are definitely larger in Dia.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
call our store tomorrow, tech line option when you call.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
10,680 Posts

Mwar410

Did you get the email sent over to you? Can you post a picture of what you are referring to? I understand you spoke with our tech adviser, Ken and he went out and actually screwed them onto a set of moogs here in the shop, so they should work. Please feel free to contact use again on our tech line if you need further assistance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the email, and don't have any pics. It was Saturday afternoon with a blizzard on the way. It's pretty simple, the Dia of the Moog Problem Solvers Es3488 appear to be larger than the sleeves. In order for them to work it looks like I'll have to mill out a larger Dia opening to the threaded section.
The point being time is money, and tying up a lift to remove and try other tie rods isn't an option ( with the possibility that Moog miss labeled the part). Like I said to Ken if I had the original jam nuts on hand, the sleeves wouldn't have been put back on. Now I'm not even willing to take them to another shop to mill them out, they'll come off and be replaced with something that works ( right then and now). I just can't afford a trial and error approach to this. I dumped close to 8k into this truck in the last month, and now a $50 inner tie Rod is keeping me from being road legal. Sorry it ain't going to happen
I'm in no way bad mouthing these sleeves, just don't have the time to figure it out. I've been running these for years, and with 2 alignments a year every year I've never had a complaint.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Sorry you are having continued issues with the kryptonite sleeves. You can send them to us and upon inspection of the sleeves, if there is a problem or issue with the sleeves, we will send you a new set, just cover the shipping cost back to you per our warranty policy.

if you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to email Ken back and continue to work with him or call the tech line if you want to speak to him directly.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem as soon as I can get some lift time I'll remove both of them and send them back.
Just my luck, I'm the only one who seems to have this problem.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Before you send them to us, make sure to contact us to work out the details of the returned shipping and to notify us that they are en-route so we can go over details with you. In the event we discover a problem with your particular sleeves, we will certainly rectify the issue.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well spent the afternoon fixing the sleeve issue. Turns out that the Moog inner tie rods are not centered. I replaced both inners, each from different sources, and both of them wouldn't thread into the sleeves, you could see each shaft wobble as it was going in. Reemed both sleeves out to 5/8" and they worked fine.

The worst part was removing the sleeve from the inner. It was so rusted on that it wouldn't come off even with grinding a flat spot onto the shaft. Had to grind the knuckle off, anise the tie Rod and weld a nut onto it. Definitely something that wouldn't have happen while aligning it. Now everything is anti seized and reassembled, ready for alignment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i bought mine from Dirty Hooker Diesel and they fit with my Moogs. good luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
the Moog PS are a tad larger than stock. When I did mine about 2 years ago I got some Rough Country sleeves to put on while I was replacing the tie rods and ran into the same problem you did. I had to take my sleeves to a shop and have them slightly milled out so the new moogs would fit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We mic'ed everything, they should've had enough clearance. The issue was they weren't centered when they were threaded. Not that they have to be to thread a nut on them. When trying to thread a sleeve on them, they looked like we were trying to thread an egg into the sleeve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.