Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1344 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Someone eating crow

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
No crow for turbo wizard yet, but I can smell it cooking. Probably another month.
I recommend a Béarnaise sauce.
Yes and a side dish of common sense as well.
Thought you left us?
No this is flash protocol very different than Banks.
And so we see that never really is a long time.

It looks like another nail in the coffin of L5P security but keep in mind that nothing is available yet. We don't know exactly what it will be this round. Banks took a step in the direction we want to go. This may be just another step that way or it may be the whole journey to the end we desire. It still needs to ripen a little.

I forbid any name calling, back biting, insulting or other negative comments here. I know that I have no authority to stop anyone from gloating if that is their inclination but keep in mind that we owe turbowizard a debt of gratitude for starting this thread. It has provided a long line of comments, suggestions, ideas and thought provocation. If he hadn't taken the initiative we would all still be silently wringing our hands over it all.

THANK YOU TURBOWIZARD FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO DISCUSS L5P TUNING AND MANY OTHER THINGS AS WELL.

Maybe the latest news is just wishful hype. Maybe its the beginning of good things. Maybe it's just another teaser. Time will tell but it won't be never.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
IMO only stock file. No deleting.

"There is no " tune kit" the vehicles PCM is licensed with Credits from there you will have a stock file to work with. As far as deleting the EGR, DPF & CAT that is something that can not be done with our software as that would no longer be emissions compliant"

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?65412-Question-on-using-HP-tuner-for-DPF-EGR-amp-CAT-DELETE

Question is if ANYBODY will touch this.

Anyway, mine went up for sale.
That quote is about 15 months old. In this arena that might as well be Sanskrit. What was gospel last year is heresy this year.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ya 500hp under full load towing heavy uphill in the heat. Unloaded on the flats will be a different story. The L5P is going to be a beast!

Where did you get that info? 540 crank is when increased flow doesn't offer any additional power. By that level you are dealing with massive heat and wear issues in the cylinders, amplified by the emissions still being in place. 500 crank is about the safety limit, regardless the load or incline.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That quote is about 15 months old. In this arena that might as well be Sanskrit. What was gospel last year is heresy this year.

I read somewhere else (closed page already) that HP Tuning is still not offering any delete options or files. Trump or not, I'd be surprised if the EPA is putting less heat on the tuners these days.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
According to Banks the stock turbo is maxed out at about 500 crank.
Gale Banks is a smart guy who knows how hard to push equipment that who-knows-who will be using. I think others who have less reputation to risk and are willing to push harder will get a lot more out of the L5P, at the risk of the whole power train. Not that 500 HP is anything to sneeze at.

It has always been the case that to get big numbers you have to do more than tune. Banks himself says that the L5P has more potential than any previous Duramax. We'll see streetable trucks with bags of power soon.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Off-road race tunes will be along soon. Apparently, sometime in the fourth quarter of this year. 5-inch exhaust no DPF will help with heat build up. The future is bright.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This looks to me like a very reputable source says 500rwhp. That's more like 550 crank. He may or may not be the guy in the driver's seat in the hp video...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Where did you get that info? 540 crank is when increased flow doesn't offer any additional power. By that level you are dealing with massive heat and wear issues in the cylinders, amplified by the emissions still being in place. 500 crank is about the safety limit, regardless the load or incline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppt6L7zi2e4
If you watch the video and understand it, what Banks is saying is that with the stock turbo with variable vanes there is a limit on the flow through the turbine. At about 540 HP the flow through the exhaust turbine approaches mach 1.

It is really hard to get air to flow past mach 1. Resistance to flow increases dramatically. As a consequence of the sound barrier limit to flow out the exhaust it becomes impossible to put much more air through the intake. As more air goes through the intake the only thing it can do is produce more pressure in the exhaust since speed has reached its limit so density has to increase. This is a bad way to run an exhaust stream.

As the exhaust pressure increases so does cylinder pressure. When the combustion gasses can't expand fully they stay hotter. This additional temperature overheats everything inside the cylinder. The end result is that the most vulnerable component will melt. Banks suggests that it could be the valves or pistons.

The simple solution would be to have a bigger turbine in the turbocharger and eliminate the variable vanes which are just an exhaust restriction at high power levels. He talks about that saying that for a street engine that doesn't work well because the engine becomes peaky. There is nothing, nothing, nothing and boom, there is a burst of power. Banks says that this isn't a good thing on the street and I think most of us would agree.

If you have ever driven a large diesel truck you will know what he means. The larger trucks I've driven tend to have a power band that is about 25% of the rev range. Just as you think you are finally starting to move it is time to shift again.

For a few people a peaky power band is tolerable but most of us really like the smooth power delivery that modern engines have.

Banks says he is working on an assortment of turbos to answer the issues of high power in the L5P. I believe he will have some good stuff soon. One thing about Banks, he is in it for the long haul. He has decided that it is better to get it right and be a little conservative than to shoot from the hip and let the devil take the hind most.

There will be a lot of power solution for the L5P as soon as the tuning to make them work is in place. That day is neigh at hand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the existing controller is so tied down, perhaps it is easier to just start with a new controller and software vs editing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HP Tuners released the MPVI2 recently and have been adding support for multiple manufacturers as they were primarily GM and Ford. They removed the ability to delete several years ago when the EPA was cracking down on emission defeating devices. I am sure it will be full flash capable with more tables being added as needed. You plug into OBD2, they provide stock file via internet connection, and you modify and flash. I wonder if the TCM is able to flashed, or if you will need to send in for unlock like the 2017+ 8 and 10 speed controllers.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
HP Tuners is announcing details tomorrow, PCM physical mod and then the mod file flash with the MPVI2 is my guess. The rest will follow shortly.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
1141 - 1160 of 1344 Posts