Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Vendor
10,973 Posts
It's a good theory but I am not sure it would work. In talking with my service tech, she explained to me how GM knows when they plug into a vehicle. The first thing they look at is the calibration IDs to make sure they match. Next they look at history to see what has been popping up or going on. I think every CEL is going to give you a code of some sort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a good theory but I am not sure it would work. In talking with my service tech, she explained to me how GM knows when they plug into a vehicle. The first thing they look at is the calibration IDs to make sure they match. Next they look at history to see what has been popping up or going on. I think every CEL is going to give you a code of some sort.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I have a deringer and unplug from OBD before I go in, never had an issue

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey guys. New to the forum here. I just brought a new 2020 L5p and looking to get it tuned and deleted. I know all the parts off the 2019 l5p work on the 2020’s. But my question is how hard is this to do? Can I do this myself or would I be better off taking it to a shop. I have mechanical knowledge but never took on anything such as deleteting a truck. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nat...termarket-defeat-devices-vehicles-and-engines

Times have changed. Going to be a lot of pizzed off Coal Blowers lol...

One more thing to consider. No matter what you take your truck in for if it is hooked to the computer for any reason it will report to GM that your truck has been tampered with emissions wise. This goes into a data base which will be shared on request by GM to the USG. :wink2:

Looking forward to no more obnoxious rolling coal and even a number to report them to. :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Wonder how many first responders will be caught in this latest initiative. Ambulance drivers, fire fighters, etc. Pretty big data base there.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I wonder why you would spend all that money on a new truck and blow the warranty? so nothing on your truck they would cover if you do a delete

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
If you keep your factory ECM and TCM which you can you will be able to swap them back in and go to the dealer for recalls and such.

This only applies to emission-compliant tuning.

If the dealer is suspicious and they or GM dig into it your milage on your factory ECM won't match the mileage of the truck and they will know what's up!

Most warranty will not be a problem but major powertrain claims won't be happening.

Reactions: 18jimmy2500

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’m not worried about the warrantee. I know that’s gone. I plan on never going back to the dealer. All the work is already done. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
im doing a full delete on my 2018 silverado this week def n egr on 20x 9x5 wheels on a 7" lift kit hoping all goes well i tried doing a dpf back exhaust terrible idea damn truck went into limp mode right away

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Pm me buddy
im doing a full delete on my 2018 silverado this week def n egr on 20x 9x5 wheels on a 7" lift kit hoping all goes well i tried doing a dpf back exhaust terrible idea damn truck went into limp mode right away
i think ill be the only one in chicago that has one im hoping idk tho would be kinda cool to be there first out here

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting times for sure.

Buddy of mine had DirecTV and found a "jailbreak" back in the early 2000's. Apparently Canada's FCC is a little more lax vs. US...and they felt any non-licensed broadcaster beaming in to Canadian airspace was none of their concern...so the great cannucks found a way to hack in to DTV's chip and receivers. For a small fee, or course. Perfectly legal in Canada. Not so legal in US...but who was looking...

Buddy would pull his card from receiver (looks very much like a credit card), plug in to a reader/writer on his computer...download the latest hack...unlock ALL the channels, then plug back in to his receiver.

And presto, he had all the channels!!...NFL Sunday ticket, all the movie channels, all the not-so-family-friendly-channels (nudge-nudge-wink-wink), east coast feeds, west coast feeds, literally everything.

Of course DirecTV was none-too-happy about this, and kept re-scrambling the signal. Jailbreakers kept up, but big-business finally found a way to lock down the cards and chips, and the fun ended.

I think it's just a matter of time before deleting a diesel becomes a thing of the past.

Reactions: poosniffer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Buddy of mine had DirecTV and found a "jailbreak" back in the early 2000's. Apparently Canada's FCC is a little more lax vs. US...and they felt any non-licensed broadcaster beaming in to Canadian airspace was none of their concern...so the great cannucks found a way to hack in to DTV's chip and receivers. For a small fee, or course. Perfectly legal in Canada. Not so legal in US...but who was looking...

Buddy would pull his card from receiver (looks very much like a credit card), plug in to a reader/writer on his computer...download the latest hack...unlock ALL the channels, then plug back in to his receiver.

And presto, he had all the channels!!...NFL Sunday ticket, all the movie channels, all the not-so-family-friendly-channels (nudge-nudge-wink-wink), east coast feeds, west coast feeds, literally everything.

Of course DirecTV was none-too-happy about this, and kept re-scrambling the signal. Jailbreakers kept up, but big-business finally found a way to lock down the cards and chips, and the fun ended.

I think it's just a matter of time before deleting a diesel becomes a thing of the past.
I disagree but everyone has there opinions. If you throw enough money at something you’ll find a way

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

worst case scenario you would need to develop a stand alone ECM (which probably already exists), which would not really be the end of the world, mechanically a modern diesel engine is not really any different from any other engine. Even if the GM ECM was locked down to the point where it was never possible to modify it, you could still delete the truck by replacing the ECM with one that was not a GM product to start with. Sure, that would make deleting more expensive, but its a far cry from a thing of the past at that point. It would not be significantly different than making a turn key duramax which is already a thing.

No level of encryption will prevent you from building your own computer that reads engine parameters off the sensors, and runs the engine accordingly. So no level of encryption can make the truck undeleteable, its a matter of cost, time, and commitment at that point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I disagree but everyone has there opinions. If you throw enough money at something you’ll find a way
I'm new to diesels and sure that you and others have way more experience in this area.

I hope you are right.

I'm going to drive my new L5P as is, keep the warranty, and hope for the best down the road. Heck, after the warranty runs out, if I'm not happy I can always go back to a gasser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

worst case scenario you would need to develop a stand alone ECM (which probably already exists), which would not really be the end of the world, mechanically a modern diesel engine is not really any different from any other engine. Even if the GM ECM was locked down to the point where it was never possible to modify it, you could still delete the truck by replacing the ECM with one that was not a GM product to start with. Sure, that would make deleting more expensive, but its a far cry from a thing of the past at that point. It would not be significantly different than making a turn key duramax which is already a thing.

No level of encryption will prevent you from building your own computer that reads engine parameters off the sensors, and runs the engine accordingly. So no level of encryption can make the truck undeleteable, its a matter of cost, time, and commitment at that point.
Thank you couldn’t say it better myself 🙌🏼

·
Registered
696 Posts

:wink2: Until they require a plug into the OMBDII! :surprise:

The final death rattle for the deletes will be when the EPA starts to enforce and deploy All of the tools they have for this under the CAA. With what some of the crazies are doing in Kali now it is just a matter of time before at the Federal level they start playing hardball with equipment checks. Hate that it has come to this but we have only to look in the mirror to see who is to blame.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.