Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the banks cool cuff but not going to be able to install before our trip in a couple of weeks. Have anyone had any issues on melting their 5th wheel or trailer with the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's ordered. If it gets here by Wednesday I'll install it that night. Just can't take any chances. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It's ordered. If it gets here by Wednesday I'll install it that night. Just can't take any chances. Thank you for the reply.
It's pretty uncommon but if you know your in regen and driving in stop and go traffic just something to be aware of.

I installed a magnaflow 5" DPF back after about the fifth person posted that their camper started warping.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is this really a thing? I have yet to tow significant distance with my l5p, but I will be making our usual vacation trip in another month or so. I also looked at the banks DPF back exhaust setup, but really didn't see any upside other than looks. Banks was also shown to have some rust/quality issues from what I've read on these forums.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Is this really a thing? I have yet to tow significant distance with my l5p, but I will be making our usual vacation trip in another month or so. I also looked at the banks DPF back exhaust setup, but really didn't see any upside other than looks. Banks was also shown to have some rust/quality issues from what I've read on these forums.
The known rust issue with Banks is why I went with an all black magnaflow.

Facebook groups are full of owners with warping campers.

Pretty good chance it might never happen but it has been happening to some.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
How much of these are from derringer users and potentially hotter exhausts than stock tunes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much of these are from derringer users and potentially hotter exhausts than stock tunes?

That's a good point! I don't run any aftermarket modules. Truck has plenty of power. But exhaust does get hot being stock. I'll play it safe with the banks cool cuff.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was under the impression (from somewhere) that the L5P would not regen below 30 MPH.......for this very reason of heat dissipation.

Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive had mine doing stationary regens at a stop, however I think it has a timer because it would elevate its idle after coming to a stop and then it would slow down to normal if I sat idle for a longer period. But as soon as I moved it would idle up and start up again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive had mine doing stationary regens at a stop, however I think it has a timer because it would elevate its idle after coming to a stop and then it would slow down to normal if I sat idle for a longer period. But as soon as I moved it would idle up and start up again.
Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have pulled our 16,000 lb 5th wheel RV about 10,000 miles. I put a 90 degree stainless exhaust tip and pointed it at a 45 degree to the side to vent exhaust and heat away from the front of RV. If it's raining while getting on the freeway pulling the RV the exhaust hits the road and blows water off the road into a mist. This shows me the pressure coming off the exhaust is quite extensive and not blasting the front of our 5th wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I have pulled our 16,000 lb 5th wheel RV about 10,000 miles. I put a 90 degree stainless exhaust tip and pointed it at a 45 degree to the side to vent exhaust and heat away from the front of RV. If it's raining while getting on the freeway pulling the RV the exhaust hits the road and blows water off the road into a mist. This shows me the pressure coming off the exhaust is quite extensive and not blasting the front of our 5th wheel.
Did you change out the exhaust pipe or just add the tip?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder if the 5er/TV setup comes into play. I know some can't even hookup with the Tail Gate all the way down. I have enough room that I can still get between the tail gate and 5er and have over 12K on my '18 and almost all of that pulling our 20K Fiver and no sign of exhaust damage to the front of the unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts