Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out the filter for the first time today. 10k miles with about 4500 of those towing. DIC read 22%. I think I will be changing these a little more often than my ‘08 and ‘05. Used to change those once a year, 12-15k miles and the DIC usually read 30-40%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
I change mine every other oil change (10K miles) no matter what. You never know what kind of junk you can pick up at any given station.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks worse than I imagined it would be. I plan on doing mine every 10k as well. Oil change, grease all zerks and tire rotation every 5k. Thanks for the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
What size is the socket to remove the filter bowl?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used a 36mm socket.
I've seen both 36 mm and 1-7/16" used to remove the filter canister. They may both work but since they're not the same size which fits better?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tried to have a dealer change mine when I got my last free oil change and they gave me the “it’s not needed at 33%” bs. Now I have to drive an hour for any dealer work!
30% was the cut off I got from my dealer.
I’m not there yet but was just asking.

As part of my two free service visits...
I was told they would only put 2.6 gallons of def in per visit no matter what.

Buy a 70k truck... and they cheap out on you... lol.

I’ll be talking real hard with my sales guy come my second visit. Maybe he can swing something. ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've seen both 36 mm and 1-7/16" used to remove the filter canister. They may both work but since they're not the same size which fits better?
Any thoughts on this guys? I've similarly seen 19 mm and 11/16" mentioned for the inner drain bolt and when I checked, 19 mm was actually a bit big - 18 mm fit better. And 11/16" was a little snug - it DID fit, but just! So it seems the inforation "out there" could stand some verification. :nerd:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have to refill the canister with diesel fuel before you reinstall it ?
From what I've seen it's not necessary as there's a diesel priming process. With the new filter in place and canister secure, turn the key to run but do not start the truck. Leave it like like for 30 seconds. You should hear the pump engage and prime the system. Turn the key to the OFF position, then back to run (do not start) for another 15 seconds. Then start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts