Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having issues with the 2017 and 2018 l5p duramax? I work for a company that leased probably around 30 Silverado 3500s. And I've seen one truck with 52 miles on it with 2 bad injectors, multiple issues with regen not working from sucked in air filter to a plugged def injector. Dpf being plugged so bad that it blew out the gasket in front of the dpf. And right now I'm dealing with 2 trucks with 2 bad injectors, both are 2018. One has 7248 miles one it. The other has 22,744 miles on it. The 7k one has p01d0, and p02da codes. The other has p02cc, p02d4. We've had multiple trucks with fuel gauge erratic reading (dual tanks.) One truck the fuel tank got sucked in and broke the fuel pump. One 2017 truck died going down the road and wouldn't start for us. Took it to the dealer and they said it started for them. They ended up replacing battery cables. Resistance wasnt in spec. They called tech support to figure that one out. Another truck the fuel pump got replaced due to the fuel pressure dropping, during high loads. They replaced the fuel pressure sensor before the pump to fix it. They also replaced the particulate matter sensor temp on that truck also. They have also replaced the air filter seal on a 2018 due to the air filter being wet and got sucked into the intake tube and causing it to not regen.

I'm not hating on these trucks at all. I'm a die hard chevy person and I fully understand that with any new redesign powertrain that there will be issues. I've never had any bad experiences with the dealer for these trucks. I know most people will probably never see near as many problems as I have with these trucks. But then again we tow alot of equipment with them day in and day out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have seen several reports of bad injectors on L5Ps now. Hopefully they have or will figure out what the problem is there. I have faith in Denso - they make good stuff. Most of what you are listing, including injectors seems like new design/ production problems and maybe 1 or 2 are self-inflicted due to bad DEF fluid? Bet the one with the "bad battery cables" does it again. Why would bad cables shut it down driving down the road? I can see that for a no-start but shutting it down while running?? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. This kind of stuff is why I'm waiting till at least the '20 model year to replace my LB7. I do not want a repeat of the problems I've had with injectors on this truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I fully agree with the whole battery cable thing. But it was back in February or March when it happened and it was a relative warm day for winter. (Mid to low 40s) and that day the truck drove 250 miles before it died 28 miles from town. The dealer first thought it was from fuel gelling up. But that wasn't the case. It was colder the day I took it in, when they got it running.
I know on the 2017 for the regen issue. There was an update for the regen. I forget what the paperwork said about it. But it was basically the truck didn't know when to regen. And I'm sure most of the regen issues are caused by the drivers letting them idle for long periods of time. Or by the driver taking it into one of those quick stop oil change places. And them not changing the air filter at every oil change. A few break downs was caused by bad fuel. But never bad def. At least the service writer has never told me it was bad def.
And all this def, dpf crap is why I'm keeping my lb7. Unless I can find a great deal on a lbz one of these days.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Why would bad cables shut it down driving down the road? I can see that for a no-start but shutting it down while running?? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.
I got ten bucks that says it was actually a bad alternator cable, and the dealer called it a battery cable because...dumb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Consider yourself lucky got a 2018 with 5500 miles on it and fuel injector pump exploded been at the dealer for 30 days because they can't get the parts! But yet can still produce the trucks. Not one person at gm can give me a straight answer so maybe someone else can?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Consider yourself lucky got a 2018 with 5500 miles on it and fuel injector pump exploded been at the dealer for 30 days because they can't get the parts! But yet can still produce the trucks. Not one person at gm can give me a straight answer so maybe someone else can?
The Denso injection pump failed? Is there visible damage, and if so, any pics? What components have to be replaced, and is there a cost estimate (despite it being under warranty)? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have any pics but from my understanding the whole pump needs replaced, according to the chevy service dealer it completely blew apart externally and they have only been waiting on a few gaskets to complete the repair. Gm keeps telling myself and the dealer the parts are on back order. Dealer did send me a work order that I can post Friday when I get home

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't have any pics but from my understanding the whole pump needs replaced, according to the chevy service dealer it completely blew apart externally and they have only been waiting on a few gaskets to complete the repair. Gm keeps telling myself and the dealer the parts are on back order. Dealer did send me a work order that I can post Friday when I get home
Thanks for the info, and I'm sorry for your troubles. Please do post the work order when you have a chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I've read that the new fuel injector pump was European and not design for U.S. deisel fuels, thus leading to implosions. Have you heard anything in thie?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think I've read that the new fuel injector pump was European and not design for U.S. deisel fuels, thus leading to implosions. Have you heard anything in thie?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yep, imploding like a white dwarf'dunno;

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with the 2017 and 2018 l5p duramax? I work for a company that leased probably around 30 Silverado 3500s. And I've seen one truck with 52 miles on it with 2 bad injectors, multiple issues with regen not working from sucked in air filter to a plugged def injector. Dpf being plugged so bad that it blew out the gasket in front of the dpf. And right now I'm dealing with 2 trucks with 2 bad injectors, both are 2018. One has 7248 miles one it. The other has 22,744 miles on it. The 7k one has p01d0, and p02da codes. The other has p02cc, p02d4. We've had multiple trucks with fuel gauge erratic reading (dual tanks.) One truck the fuel tank got sucked in and broke the fuel pump. One 2017 truck died going down the road and wouldn't start for us. Took it to the dealer and they said it started for them. They ended up replacing battery cables. Resistance wasnt in spec. They called tech support to figure that one out. Another truck the fuel pump got replaced due to the fuel pressure dropping, during high loads. They replaced the fuel pressure sensor before the pump to fix it. They also replaced the particulate matter sensor temp on that truck also. They have also replaced the air filter seal on a 2018 due to the air filter being wet and got sucked into the intake tube and causing it to not regen.

I'm not hating on these trucks at all. I'm a die hard chevy person and I fully understand that with any new redesign powertrain that there will be issues. I've never had any bad experiences with the dealer for these trucks. I know most people will probably never see near as many problems as I have with these trucks. But then again we tow alot of equipment with them day in and day out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 3500 with 24000 miles and it quit running and a trail of diesel behind me. Got to GMC dealer and they called me and said seems like high pressure fuel pump and will be major teardown. Under warranty, but very worried about this. I will know more after they tear it down.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
MY TRUCK HAS 69,000 AND ONLY HAD GLOW PLUGS GO OUT, HOWEVER I HAVE RUN ADDITIVES ON EVERY DIESEL I HAVE OWNED FOR YEARS AND ZERO ISSUES, SINCE OUR FUEL IS 15 PPM OR LESS I THINK EXTRA LUBE IS THE ANNSWER

Reactions: 2019LTZ

·
Registered
84 Posts
any updates on this... new 2019 owner and no issues added in over 3 months...

are the L5P that good or thread gone stale?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I have a 2017 with 73,000 miles, original injectors, all glow plugs replaced , other stuff was radio etc, Nox Sensor code comes and goes, I think DPF is to small for truck personally

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2017 with 73,000 miles, original injectors, all glow plugs replaced , other stuff was radio etc, Nox Sensor code comes and goes, I think DPF is to small for truck personally
thanks for the update...

too small as in it doesn't hold enough soot / regen too often>?

I just had my first regen on this 15k mile CPO.. the OBD said 620 miles.. the avg with previous owner driving around town was 280 miles

I think that if you can give it long stretches and keep foot out of it when its cold or otherwise would make a diesel smoke.. regen could be stretched to 400+ miles on avg.. but around town / heavy tow / heavy foot probably makes it regen more

you are not the first to complain about the damn glow plugs.. I thought this was a 'new and improved' glow plug system... anybody heard if chevy is doing something to fix this.. glow plugs should not be consumables

·
Registered
1 Posts
MY TRUCK HAS 69,000 AND ONLY HAD GLOW PLUGS GO OUT, HOWEVER I HAVE RUN ADDITIVES ON EVERY DIESEL I HAVE OWNED FOR YEARS AND ZERO ISSUES, SINCE OUR FUEL IS 15 PPM OR LESS I THINK EXTRA LUBE IS THE ANNSWER
I have a 2018 and also have only had a glow plug go bad at 52k miles. I have read many places that US diesel is the direct cause for most of the fuel pump and injector issues due to lack of lubricant. I have treated my fuel with power service from day and have so far had no issue at almost 60k miles. What is your preferred brand of diesel additive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts