Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
MY TRUCK HAS 69,000 AND ONLY HAD GLOW PLUGS GO OUT, HOWEVER I HAVE RUN ADDITIVES ON EVERY DIESEL I HAVE OWNED FOR YEARS AND ZERO ISSUES, SINCE OUR FUEL IS 15 PPM OR LESS I THINK EXTRA LUBE IS THE ANNSWER
Do you know if the code for the bad glow plug clears on its own. I just changed all of mine and the code cant be cleared with a normal reader.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I cleared glow plug code and they just come back, they go under the power train warranty I think till 100,000, they replaced all of mine over a two year period

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered & took delivery of 2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually in Nov 2020. Not a single issue until 4/04/2021. 7812 miles, had been driven 150 that day, 20 miles from home, check engine light, derate & shut-down in seconds. Lotsa white smoke. Dealer replaced fuel pump, still no start, no fuel pressure, lift pump working perfectly. Maybe $77,000 isn't enough to get one to 10,000 miles. Still no truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with the 2017 and 2018 l5p duramax? I work for a company that leased probably around 30 Silverado 3500s. And I've seen one truck with 52 miles on it with 2 bad injectors, multiple issues with regen not working from sucked in air filter to a plugged def injector. Dpf being plugged so bad that it blew out the gasket in front of the dpf. And right now I'm dealing with 2 trucks with 2 bad injectors, both are 2018. One has 7248 miles one it. The other has 22,744 miles on it. The 7k one has p01d0, and p02da codes. The other has p02cc, p02d4. We've had multiple trucks with fuel gauge erratic reading (dual tanks.) One truck the fuel tank got sucked in and broke the fuel pump. One 2017 truck died going down the road and wouldn't start for us. Took it to the dealer and they said it started for them. They ended up replacing battery cables. Resistance wasnt in spec. They called tech support to figure that one out. Another truck the fuel pump got replaced due to the fuel pressure dropping, during high loads. They replaced the fuel pressure sensor before the pump to fix it. They also replaced the particulate matter sensor temp on that truck also. They have also replaced the air filter seal on a 2018 due to the air filter being wet and got sucked into the intake tube and causing it to not regen.

I'm not hating on these trucks at all. I'm a die hard chevy person and I fully understand that with any new redesign powertrain that there will be issues. I've never had any bad experiences with the dealer for these trucks. I know most people will probably never see near as many problems as I have with these trucks. But then again we tow alot of equipment with them day in and day out.
I have a 2019 and had 3 injectors replaced before 50000km. The issue they found with mine was metal filings in the fuel filter and tank. The flushed the system replace the clogged injectors. The truck ran pretty good for a month now the issues are coming back. It’s in the shop now waiting to hear what they find. Have your dealer check the fuel filter even if there are no codes coming up on the computer.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Maybe some one vadalized your truck? cant see how metal filings could get in fuel unless something internal in fuel system went bad. my truck has 83,000 miles original ingectors, had glow plug issues, but nothing major, but im a fanatic about maintenance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, got it back. Replaced fuel pump, injection pump, 2 injectors & all glow plugs. They have no idea what happened but I have put about 1000 miles on it since repair with no issues. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
50K on a 2018 L5P and #4 injector is showing a hard fault code. Hopefully it's just the clip. Read somewhere on here the 17 and 18 are experiencing this problem quite frequently.

·
Registered
328 Posts
50K on a 2018 L5P and #4 injector is showing a hard fault code. Hopefully it's just the clip. Read somewhere on here the 17 and 18 are experiencing this problem quite frequently.
What is the code? My number 4 had issues. And put the truck in limp mode. No warning at all the issue was coming. And it happened right in front of a Chevrolet dealership on a Saturday. They told me it would be Monday before they could look at it. I had my code reader with me and figured it out then got the part and drive to my job site a few miles down the street. It was the connector. Part cost around $120 at the dealership. Comes with the pigtail wiring too. Took about 3 hours for me to do it. Since I was doing it on the side of the road in a parking space . Would of been quicker if people stop coming up to me and wanted to chat. I think 1 out of 10 people asked if I needed help. Lol
I called my normal dealership on Monday and my service adviser said that if I could of brought it in they would do a warranty claim on it since there was a TSB bulletin for them. My truck 2017 had around 85k when issue happened. And under factory duramax powertrain warranty still.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts