Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the procedure for removing air from surge tank or coolant system. Took my truck to the dealer they said no leaks just needed to remove air from system. Kept my truck two days and several days later message returned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone know the procedure for removing air from surge tank or coolant system. Took my truck to the dealer they said no leaks just needed to remove air from system. Kept my truck two days and several days later message returned.
I just filled mine up to the top

·
Registered
37 Posts
Took mine in for the same message and they added a little coolant and then tried to charge me for shop supplies (antifreeze) and time! Told them I didn't think that was right as the truck wasn't even due for it's first oil change yet. They finally figured out there was a TSB for it and "waived" the charges.

Didn't require any "burping".

·
Registered
489 Posts
The system is designed to self evacuate air over time but depending upon how much was in the system it may take more than one fill. I have been keeping an eye on mine but so far the coolant level hasn't changed since I picked it up new with less than 20 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Fill procedure is in the manual, but as above if it's only down a little just add some and it should self correct after a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Common to have to add a little to a new one.

What year is the truck?
How many miles/how long in service?

·
Registered
157 Posts
So how much coolant is to much? Can I fill the overflow reservoir basically all the way to the top, or is that gonna cause a fountain under the hood? I do have it slightly above the two arrows, but im wondering if i can add more, I want as much as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cracked Hose

Check for coolant leaks. On mine we found a cracked hose that slowly drained the coolant from the system. The coolant return hose clamp was overtightened and the hose split. This hose is right against the firewall next to the AC lines. I had the hose replaced and the coolant system flushed by the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same issue and the service manager at my dealer said that you top off the reservoir with the surge tank cap off and it will allow the air to bleed out and let the other chamber of the tank to fill. that worked for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Took mine in for the same message and they added a little coolant and then tried to charge me for shop supplies (antifreeze) and time! Told them I didn't think that was right as the truck wasn't even due for it's first oil change yet. They finally figured out there was a TSB for it and "waived" the charges.

Didn't require any "burping".
What TSB is this? I just got the "low coolant" message this morning on initial start after the truck had sat for 3 full days. I have a 2017 GMC 2500.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks. Saw this and printed out for my upcoming service visit. Hopefully they find the problem and fix!! I bought my truck out of state, so no loaner vehicle at my local service dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Low Coolant message came on again.2nd time dealer. First time they stated that the coolant was at the wrong level and that the sensor inside the tank was faulty. Everything replaced. Dealer is keeping it over night due to the fact that the tech apparently pressurized the system and the coolant went down an inch. They feel there is air in the system, but do not know where it is going. Not sure if the EGR cooler tube was inspected. I stated that the coolant had to be going somewhere because I have touched it since they filled it and it has gone down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve had to fill mine up twice already since purchased new in early October. Is this a common issue with these trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had an issue with this last year. I only noticed the low coolant message when it was really cold outside. Took it to the dealer twice last winter. They got it fixed and it never came back on til 2 weeks ago. We had a cold snap go through my area and again the,message came up again. I need to take it back in. I just havrnt had the time yet.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
If you're a do-it-your-selfer, fall is the time of year to check clamps are tight and, if necessary, add a little coolant.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update on mine... dealer checked the TSB items and found no leaks. They found air in the system and filled up. The error message has not come back yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve filled mine up a total of 3 times now with 6500 miles on the truck. Hope this last time is it. I don’t see any coolant on the ground so hopefully just air in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top off solved this for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else had to use other solutions to get message to go away? I have had mine in twice now to local dealer, and both times they said they vacuum filled coolant and got some air out. Both times message has come back on as soon as truck gets up to temp and I am on the highway. Coolant level has never shown low when cold it is right at top of arrows. I am at a loss here and extremely frustrated with GM and the dealer as they can't seem to fix issue. I had zero problems with my 2015. I am wondering if it is just bad sensor and needs coolant tank replaced.

They checked for blown head gasket and leaks based on TSB, but did not find anything.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
If you want to try it yourself:

1. Remove the coolant surge tank pressure cap when the cooling system, including the coolant surge tank pressure cap and upper radiator hose, is no longer hot.
For 8-cylinder pickups, turn the pressure cap slowly clockwise about one-half turn. If a hiss is heard, wait for that to stop.
A hiss means there is still some pressure left.
For vans, turn the pressure cap slowly counterclockwise about one full turn. If a hiss is heard, wait for that to stop. A hiss means there is still some
pressure left.

2. Keep turning the pressure cap slowly, and remove it.

3. Slowly fill the coolant surge tank. Do not let the coolant
level go above the indicated mark in the tank until after the engine comes to operating temperature in Step 4.

4. With the coolant surge tank pressure cap off, start the engine and let it run until the engine coolant temperature gauge indicates approximately 90 °C (195 °F).
By this time, the coolant level inside the coolant surge tank may be lower. If the level is lower, slowly add more of the proper mixture to the coolant surge tank until it reaches the indicated mark.

5. Replace the pressure cap.
For 8-cylinder pickups, be sure the pressure cap is locked.
For vans, be sure the pressure cap is hand-tight and fully seated.

6. Verify coolant level after the engine is shut off and the coolant is cold.

If necessary, repeat coolant fill procedure Steps 1–6.

If the coolant level is still low after having followed these steps twice, have the coolant system checked by a certified technician at the dealer for a possible leak.

Reactions: Allclear
1 - 20 of 35 Posts