Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I highly highly highly suggest cleaning your TMAP sensor as a part of your preventative maintenance program. My '18 has 18,300 on it and I was getting codes P0106 for "manifold absolute pressure" followed shortly there after by an unclearable P00C7.

L5P TMAP sensor is both temp and pressure. With the emissions equipment intact , this gets covered in soot....like......COVERED. After losing no driveability, and clearing the MAP code a few times over the last few months, i finally got that P00C7 code. Basically, this is the truck seeing something wrong but cant figure it out amongst the sensors and want you to bring it in for a tech to get dirty. That means $$$ for you. Oh, and the threat of a pending limp mode if you don't address it.

I went and grabbed a $6 bottle of MAP/MAF sensor cleaner and scrubbed it up. Be very careful because its a stupid sensitive part but took about 20min start to finish. Pop off both batteries (10mm), disconnect the sensor from the harness. Pull the sensor (10mm) pull up and out. Will give a little resistance because of the O-ring. I used the straw on the can to knock off the big stuff, then a q-tip to rub it down good. While cleaning, maintain the cage facing down, so as to not push anything back in towards the electronics internally. Not only did it clear my codes, truck feels much stronger and responsive. Plus it gave me bonding time with my almost 2 year old working on his first Chevy

Here are some before and afters

Super Moderator
I was also recently bit by this. Thought my S&B MAP spacer was supposed to save me from it, but I guess not.
Looks like the little man is learning car repair early, that a boy! 馃槤

Reactions: Bsimster

Registered
18k miles and looked like that!? Youzers. Nice work both on parenting AND the map :ROFLMAO:

Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
Is this the MAP sensor you cleaned?

Super Moderator
Yes, that's it.

Reactions: cfell

Super Moderator
It is suggested to disconnect the batteries if you disconnect the sensor from the harness. I've also read enough of the factory service manual to say there is a decent chance a code will be thrown if you leave the batteries connected.
Yes, some guys on here get lucky enough and it doesn't throw a code. Some don't...
You've been warned...

Registered
Anyone use this to reduce the amount of contamination to the MAP sensor?

Oops, I see that Viper had one and it still got all plugged up. Well, maybe that saved me 70.00.....:p

At $15.38 for the sensor, it might be a good part to keep in your ready parts pack.

Reactions: 2019LTZ and cfell

Super Moderator
Yes, I have it. Didn't save me.

Although, mine was cleaner than @Bsimster with 29K miles.

Reactions: cfell and Pinkmist

Registered
2017 l5p Chevrolet 2500 LT CC
Anyone use this to reduce the amount of contamination to the MAP sensor?

Oops, I see that Viper had one and it still got all plugged up. Well, maybe that saved me 70.00.....:p

At $15.38 for the sensor, it might be a good part to keep in your ready parts pack.

I carry a spare MAP and MAF sensor. I like the idea of just being able to change one out if I鈥檓 not in a position to clean one when they throw a code. I figure I can clean them at my convenience instead of having to come up with something hundreds of miles from home. To me, the MAP at $16 is an easy decision, the MAF is a little more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I highly highly highly suggest cleaning your MAP sensor as a part of your preventative maintenance program. My '18 has 18,300 on it and I was getting codes P0106 for "manifold absolute pressure" followed shortly there after by an unclearable P00C7.

L5P MAP sensor is both temp and pressure. With the emissions equipment intact , this gets covered in soot....like......COVERED. After losing no driveability, and clearing the MAP code a few times over the last few months, i finally got that P00C7 code. Basically, this is the truck seeing something wrong but cant figure it out amongst the sensors and want you to bring it in for a tech to get dirty. That means $$$ for you. Oh, and the threat of a pending limp mode if you dont address it.

I went and grabbed a $6 bottle of MAP/MAF sensor cleaner and scrubbed it up. Be very careful because its a stupid sensitive part but took about 20min start to finish. Pop off both batteries (10mm), disconnect the sensor from the harness. Pull the sensor (10mm) pull up and out. Will give a little resistance because of the O-ring. I used the straw on the can to knock off the big stuff, then a q-tip to rub it down good. Not only did it clear my codes, truck feels much stronger and responsive. Plus it gave me bonding time with my almost 2 year old working on his first Chevy

Here are some before and afters
View attachment 1086073 View attachment 1086074 View attachment 1086075
View attachment 1086076
View attachment 1086077
where is his beer?

mine looked similar at 15k...

Registered
Wow!

I cleaned mine two weeks ago on my LBZ at 348k miles and it wasn't that bad.

Premium Member
Does anyone know what to torque the bolt to when re-installing?

Super Moderator
60 in lbs

Super Moderator
Holy soot Batman! You were on borrowed time there brother.

By the way guys, this sensor brand new from the rock is only around $15.

Reactions: APPPQs and Pinkmist

Registered
Holy soot Batman! You were on borrowed time there brother.

By the way guys, this sensor brand new from the rock is only around $15.
Checking/cleaning each oil change will be this guy's plan, and replacing every other time. At 15.38 from RA how can you go wrong. And that o-ring may not seal as well if it is removed repeatedly especially when exposed to high under hood temps here in the desert.

Reactions: cfell

Super Moderator
Not a bad idea. I can say that the cleaning results have worked so far for us. I have yet to reinstall my Derringer though, that'll be this weekend. I believe @Bsimster never took his Derringer out though and he's back to using his go pedal like an on/off switch. 馃お

Reactions: cfell and Pinkmist
1 - 20 of 91 Posts