Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
201 - 220 of 252 Posts

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
Thanks man, mine is 14.3 over 82k 100% stock. I was just asking because I am really interested in the derringer idash and pedal monster. Just hoping it’s not going to tank the mileage too much.
All tuners decrease mileage. How much it decreases varies but I would bet banks derringer does the best job. More power means using more fuel use which also increases soot production. I would skip the tuner and go pedal monster and idash. That is what is in my truck

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
One thing i will say tho (and i run all 3) os you can "see" when the Derringer is adding power. Otherwise, you're at stock parameters. The derringer varies based upon load.

Pedal monster is always adjusting. Once you mash it for the first time, even half throttle, it'll be a full tank before your numbers level back off. Wayyy to much fun with a PedalMonster now

Derringer level 3 and up pulls like a freight train. PedalMonster is a significantly serious butt dyno improvement though - even though it does nothing for actual power

· Premium Member
256 Posts
OK, I have a Derringer, Pedal monster and Big Ass air cleaner, data monster and super gauge. I performed detailed before and after mileage studies to see the effect. I ran a tank of fuel driving the truck normally with all the Banks setting at stock parameters and noticed a .75 mpg increase. I imagine most of this was because of the Big Ass air cleaner allowing the engine to take advantage of the cooler air. Now with that said after that test was done I started playing with the setting (this also includes putting my foot in it more often) and actually lost the .75 and even lost about .5 as well. As well as the Banks stuff works you find yourself driving the truck differently because of the additional power. I have since done some tweaking and match the original MPG but have some extra performance I did not have without the Banks stuff. As many has said the pedal monster is a must, you actually find yourself not pushing down as far (and even more then is necessary) to get the normal acceleration much like the old style cable system.

I would really love to put in the upgraded tail pipe but the dick heads at my local Chevy dealer would have a sh1t fit and give me crap. For some strange reason they think if the megaphone exhaust tip is missing they think your deleted. When they see the Data monster and super gauge they always ask if its reprogrammed, I then point to the DPF and DEF tank and the conversation usually ends.

As it is I remove the derringer and pedal monster before I take it in for service just because I don't feel like playing the game with the dealership.

Since I put in the Banks system I actually see less buildup on the MAP sensor I give it a soaking spray, let it sit and spray it again and back it goes ready for some more miles!

I really can't say enough about the Banks products, and short of a full delete its really the only way to go IMHO.

· Registered
2020 Denali 2500HD L5P Duramax
7 Posts
I don’t go to the dealer unless I have to.

I cleaned my sensor breaking all the rules. Used a plastic brush, compressed air and didn’t disconnect battery.

If you are careful, I don’t think there is much risk on a $17 part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. As long as you have a spare as a back-up you'll be fine.

· Registered
2020 Denali 2500HD L5P Duramax
7 Posts
We purchased a 2020 Denali in Livingston Texas in March of 2021. It was the managers truck and thus they had to sell it before it reached 5K miles. It now has 28.5K miles on it. I immediately threw a K&N filter in it, as I have with all my previous trucks. This is our first diesel.

We are full time RV'rs (retired) and travel the country. We tow a toy hauler (16K #) So, fuel efficiency (especially now) is one of our top priorities. We swapped out the drop in K&N filter for the new CAI from Banks Power. You would have thought I put a Pedal monster in it! It's that good!

So coming across this post I thought I should check out the MAP. Sure enough, there was some soot found but not to the extent some of the higher mileage trucks have, I lightly brushed the soot away and ordered a spare.

Should I get the MAP spacer? No. It does not prevent soot build up. And with the sensor not in the direct flow it can actually effect the information that its collecting for proper fuel management. We will just clean the sensor every other oil change.

BTW- The CAI and the clean MAP really improved our fuel mileage. (Not towing we are back in the 20 MPG range)

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
It's on the first page of this thread.

· Registered
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
701 Posts
I would disconnect them. Some have reported a CEL and code if not disconnecting first. If you let the truck “fall asleep” before you remove it you will be ok but I think it’s easier to just disconnect the batteries

· Registered
521 Posts
YMMV but I left the tmap connected to the wiring harness and removed the sensor from it’s mount for cleaning so I didn’t disconnect the batteries. No issues.

I clean with every oil change and carry a spare with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
I suggest purchasing a spare sensor. They're pretty cheap...
acdelco 12681993
They're $19 over at rock auto

Reactions: Melonhead1102

· Premium Member
2021 Denali HD DRW, 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL
253 Posts
I took mine out at 38k and it looked like this. The sensor was completely caked. It doesn’t have the little cage around the sensor like the new one. I put a light down and can’t see anything except for soot. I also put some needle nose pliers down and couldn’t grab anything. Hopefully it just disintegrated.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas

· Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
888 Posts
I was also recently bit by this. Thought my S&B MAP spacer was supposed to save me from it, but I guess not.
Looks like the little man is learning car repair early, that a boy! 😝
I check mine routinely no issue in cleaning with the spacer one tenth the amount without!

· Registered
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
701 Posts
Friendly reminder to check your TMAP. Checked mine when I changed the oil / fuel / air filters today. Good thing I had a replacement to put in. Just ordered another spare for next time. I think it’s only been about 20k miles since I last cleaned it.

Product Font Material property Gas Art

Product Font Automotive tire Technology Auto part

201 - 220 of 252 Posts