Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
221 - 240 of 252 Posts

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
It probably will be if it actually throws a code and causes limp mode (and you're under a full warranty). By then though it's going to happen when you really don't feel like dealing with it. For me, that was when I was leaving work at 6pm. I didn't leave the parking lot until 8pm.
I see where you're coming from, but it's the nature of the beast. Seems like the regulars on here are doing well with a once a year check/clean/replace. Not a huge inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. I've had my truck 3 years, cleaned the original part twice, just put a new one in this year. A whole brand new sensor is $20 if you don't feel like dealing with cleaning it.

Reactions: Piper One

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
If you also really want to cover your bases, get a spare MAF as well. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it on the L5P, but you never know.

Reactions: DonkeyDiesel

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,655 Posts
Based on Tim and others experience, I bought one to carry in the truck toolbox. Even if it's warranty, the cost (for me anyway) of being stopped or stranded is way more than the sensor.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Based on Tim and others experience, I bought one to carry in the truck toolbox. Even if it's warranty, the cost (for me anyway) of being stopped or stranded is way more than the sensor.
Yup, exactly. That's the point of the thread right there. Warranty or not. If you're stuck somewhere with your boat, or camping trailer, or wife & kids, it sucks. I was lucky that I was at work and had some tools available, some cleaning supplies and compressed air.

· Premium Member
2020 L5P Z71, 2018 L5P High Country
86 Posts
Yup, exactly. That's the point of the thread right there. Warranty or not. If you're stuck somewhere with your boat, or camping trailer, or wife & kids, it sucks. I was lucky that I was at work and had some tools available, some cleaning supplies and compressed air.
So in the beginning of this thread a guy named “duece driver” posted some stuff, and while reading the thread and hit his comments I see he is banned! How does one get banned?

Sorry for the ramble, but he posted something that struck me as funny, and insightful as well.
”the EGR, where your engine sh_ts in its own mouth.”. It made me chuckle, until I thought about how exactly right he was.
I am a rule follower by nature, and do not support removing emissions stuff, but I see why guys want to do it, this is a terrible design! Just a ridiculous solution to the problem.
I am a half retired electrical engineer from the automotive field. I worked extensively in the exterior lighting market, and designed the end of line testing equipment for post assembly.
A design like this would never pass in lighting or backup camera design. (Another area I have work experience in.)
It stinks like, “oh we have to meet these standards, so let’s push the problem here, he he”

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Very long story. It wasn't emissions talk.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Ok, I just found this place, and did not want to stir up a nest!
I do think that responsible talk about this design, and what could be improved on, should be ok. This cannot be the best that they can do!
Yup, as long as the discussion doesn't involve removing federal emissions devices it's all good.

As far as improving the situation, have you seen the S&B map spacer? It doesn't completely solve the situation, but it does help slightly.
The reality is the TMAP is downstream of the EGR so it sees a lot of soot.

· Premium Member
86 Posts
Yup, as long as the discussion doesn't involve removing federal emissions devices it's all good.

As far as improving the situation, have you seen the S&B map spacer? It doesn't completely solve the situation, but it does help slightly.
I can deal with the TMAP, as routine maintenance, it is an unfortunate design flaw, but as a 20$ part, I could swallow changing this at every oil change, if that were he real issue.
How does this design impact the life of the engine as a whole? I have witnessed several L5P that have clogged the DPF, one so bad it seemed to be pushing exhaust gas back though the air cleaner. Most of the loss of function, or limp mode issues I have heard of locally, are emissions issues. Mostly def system issues, we had some unusually cold weather in Michigan last winter, and def tank heaters failing all over our area. I am not sure if this is directly resultant to the temperature, my local dealer insisted that the tanks were being damaged by regen heat. I have many friends with L5Ps in Florida, I don’t believe i have heard of this happening. So if it’s regen heat, I would expect it there in greater abundance.

Any auto industry guys on here who did emission design work? I would love to hear from an expert. I would also enjoy the wisdom of some of you with high mileage L5Ps as to your emissions troubles as the system ages, and if you have been problem free, what is your recipe for this? Diving conditions, def brand, and consumption rate, fuel choices, filter changes?

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I can deal with the TMAP, as routine maintenance, it is an unfortunate design flaw, but as a 20$ part, I could swallow changing this at every oil change, if that were he real issue.
How does this design impact the life of the engine as a whole? I have witnessed several L5P that have clogged the DPF, one so bad it seemed to be pushing exhaust gas back though the air cleaner. Most of the loss of function, or limp mode issues I have heard of locally, are emissions issues. Mostly def system issues, we had some unusually cold weather in Michigan last winter, and def tank heaters failing all over our area. I am not sure if this is directly resultant to the temperature, my local dealer insisted that the tanks were being damaged by regen heat. I have many friends with L5Ps in Florida, I don’t believe i have heard of this happening. So if it’s regen heat, I would expect it there in greater abundance.

Any auto industry guys on here who did emission design work? I would love to hear from an expert. I would also enjoy the wisdom of some of you with high mileage L5Ps as to your emissions troubles as the system ages, and if you have been problem free, what is your recipe for this? Diving conditions, def brand, and consumption rate, fuel choices, filter changes?
Wasn’t there just a recall not too long ago where they reprogrammed the regen to be a lower temperature to avoid damaging the DEF tank/heater? Not exactly sure on specifics I got my truck after all that but I could have sworn I read about it on here.

· Premium Member
86 Posts
Wasn’t there just a recall not too long ago where they reprogrammed the regen to be a lower temperature to avoid damaging the DEF tank/heater? Not exactly sure on specifics I got my truck after all that but I could have sworn I read about it on here.
There is an active recall, I was originally under the impression that it was to address the hot exhaust gasses from damaging a trailer in tow. There is a video on YouTube, that I watched where a guy in shorts was burned on the leg. Lots of pictures of campers with melt damage.

I can get onboard with the recall being for def system failures, but then my brain wants to understand why this manifested itself in a -10 to -17F winter, and not our 100 degree summer, or in Texas or Florida? Maybe it has, and I have not heard of it. This is a good post for people with this problem to chime in!

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,264 Posts
I have a mid-level mileage 2017 (160k miles) and I put the S&B spacer on at like 125k I think. You couldn't tell there was a sensor in there, so I'm not sure how it was doing any data collection for the ECM. I also live in Michigan and had to do a new DEF tank, new vane position sensor on the turbo, and a new coolant tank. All 3 of those sensors went out the same summer. I think the issue with DEF here in Michigan is related to the cold. The freezing point of DEF is 12° F and we hit that numerous times each winter overnight. When it thaws, crystals will form in the tank and I'm assuming those concentrated little nuggets of piss are shorting out the sensor.

Other than that, I have had no emissions problems with my truck. It has spent a lot of time recently as a grocery getter and no issues. I do try to run it a little harder when I notice it is in a regen cycle (I get on the expressway and lock the transmission into 5th gear at 80 mph) to make sure it gets a complete regen cycle in. But that doesn't always happen because I don't have time to babysit the truck that much. GM did a decent job on the newer trucks compared to the previous generations as far as regen cycle goes, in my opinion.

I have no problem if folks want to talk about why deleting components makes the vehicle run better. In my mind, that is still discussing and not acting. Once we start posting how to remove things, where to buy tuning, who can do the work, etc etc etc, that is where I will be closing and/or deleting content.

221 - 240 of 252 Posts