Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
241 - 252 of 252 Posts

· Registered
2022 Chevy 2500HD High Country
356 Posts
Took me 45 mins to get that damn connector off. Finally had to go at it from the sensor side with a tiny flat had. It just wouldn’t release but I was afraid to damage it.

I don’t see how the sensor even functions with all that crap on it. I never had an issue though and truck doesn’t drive any different. Glad I did it though for piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,264 Posts
It's a pressure sensor, not a flow sensor. As long as there is a way for the compressed air to get to the actual sensor, it should work.
Mine was completely caked. I do not see where it could be getting an accurate reading in that state.

· Premium Member
2022 Silverado 2500HD LTZ DCSB
227 Posts
While I can't speak directly for the map sensor on these trucks, every pressure sensor I've installed on industrial machines (hydraulic, coolant, air, etc) have warned that dirt or contamination can cause inaccuracies. I doubt the map is any differnt.

· Premium Member
2020 L5P Z71, 2018 L5P High Country
86 Posts
It's a pressure sensor, not a flow sensor. As long as there is a way for the compressed air to get to the actual sensor, it should work.
It’s also temperature, I would think that when it is coated with soot, the reaction time for temperature reading might be slowed.

I wish that the effort that went into the entire concept of EGR would have gone into development of a catalyst that would satisfy the EPA, and do this stuff in the exhaust, where it should be. I mean, you don’t put your garbage back in the refrigerator…

· Registered
132 Posts
S&B shows and says it only fits 17-22 L5P. I called them.
S&B Filters: MAP Spacers

www.sbfilters.com
www.sbfilters.com
They told me they don't know if it fits or will work with 2023 L5P. They would love for me to try and fit it on my 23 and report back.
It does mount. See picture. Just installed.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread

Does anyone know what might be different on a 23 vs 22 Tmap sensor / intake?
The picture on their site (below) has a slightly different setup than my 23.
Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior
And my 23 also looks like it might have a second sensor?? See below.
Thoughts......
Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

· Premium Member
256 Posts
Its funny I stopped religiously using Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost when I sold off my 2013 LML as I figured I didn't need it since GM dumped the CP4 and the LP5 doesn't really need it.

One of the thing about Diesel Kleen is there claim it keeps deposits down. I started using it again after replacing my TMAP sensor back 20k ago. I have checked it 3 times since then at oil changes. Guess what it was surprisingly clean and I could even see the blue color of the sensor in the center of the cage. I also noticed a slight increase in my fuel economy and a increased distance between regens.

Needless to say I'm using it regularly again and enjoying the benefits. Now, I know many will say its just cheaper to try to clean the TMAP or replace it every 20k miles and that would be a true statement.

For me I enjoy knowing I am keeping the soot level down, the better fuel economy and the extra distance between regens. Happy Holidays all!

· Registered
412 Posts
No idea why I never read this post. Forum laziness I guess.

I’m going to be picking up a few new tmap sensors since they’re so cheap. Just to confirm, the part number is the same for all L5P’s? I found the part at rock auto but can’t find it on GMparts. I figured I’ll swing by the dealer too and see if they have one in stock. I’m curious to see if I’ll notice any pressure differences on my idash.

Also, it seems most have been happy with the S&B spacer. I’m tempted to order one, but don’t want to risk something going wrong with the engine and the dealer putting the burden of proof on me to prove the spacer didn’t cause the issue, even though legally it’s supposed to be the other way around. Does anyone if the spacer would cause warranty issues? It seems these days everyone is doing everything they can to not pay.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
No idea why I never read this post. Forum laziness I guess.

I’m going to be picking up a few new tmap sensors since they’re so cheap. Just to confirm, the part number is the same for all L5P’s? I found the part at rock auto but can’t find it on GMparts. I figured I’ll swing by the dealer too and see if they have one in stock. I’m curious to see if I’ll notice any pressure differences on my idash.

Also, it seems most have been happy with the S&B spacer. I’m tempted to order one, but don’t want to risk something going wrong with the engine and the dealer putting the burden of proof on me to prove the spacer didn’t cause the issue, even though legally it’s supposed to be the other way around. Does anyone if the spacer would cause warranty issues? It seems these days everyone is doing everything they can to not pay.
Assume the dealer is retarded. Don't go to the dealer unless you need warranty work. Spacer takes two minutes to remove if needed.

· Premium Member
256 Posts
Bottom line to visiting dealerships, there are some real good ones that will simply look the other way on aftermarket stuff. If this is you your very lucky, on the other hand there are also some dealerships where there are some real assholes. If yours is one of those unbolt, unplug, remove anything aftermarket and save yourself some grief.

I can tell you first hand on my 2013 I was having some problems with DEF quality and limp mode warnings under warranty. I went into my local Chevy dealer and forgot to remove my Edge CTS and was told my warranty was going to be invalidated because of using an aftermarket tuning device.

I then had to go thru hell proving to them that the Insight CTS WAS NOT A PROGRAMMER but a monitor and had nothing to do with the problem and that my truck was 100% untouched.

Anyway, now when I go to the dealership with my 2019 I remove my Derringer, Idash and pedal monster. I never want that hassle again. If your going in for an emission/code issue I can see where the
S&B filters MAP Spacer could give them a good excuse to say you modified your emissions and created a problem though we all know that's dealer bullshit.

Be safe and save yourself problems, it's easy to remove, just do it and put it back on after you get your truck back. Or another option spend the money on a couple of spare sensors forget the spacer and never worry about the dealer issues.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts