Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

Super Moderator
Nice, I'm debating making this a sticky. Anyone besides @Bsimster want to second my vote? Don't worry, he's fine with me picking on him. 馃お He's practically my neighbor even though he's an hour north of me.

Registered
Nice, I'm debating making this a sticky. Anyone besides @Bsimster want to second my vote? Don't worry, he's fine with me picking on him. He's practically my neighbor even though he's an hour north of me.
Yes. Please make a sticky for this. I just got my oil changed and will be doing this cleaning this weekend. 83k on my truck and haven't ever cleaned it. Never even thought about it until now.

Registered
2018 2500 LTZ Z71 Custom Sport
Truth......:p you must be a bubblehead.
Served on the USS Sea Robin (SS407) and theUSS Halfbeak (SS352). Membe of the Holland Club. Served 4 years got out as E5 YN2(SS)... Loved the time onboard, Once I was qualified. When you are a non qual puke it was tough, but you learned the importance of qualification. Proud to wear the Dolphins....

Super Moderator
Done.

@Bsimster , buddy old pal, please do me a favor and edit your first post. Add your problem thread to the bottom of your first post so that people can see what happened and why we got to this point.

This one:

Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
Which solvent do you guys use for this cleanup?

Registered
Done.

@Bsimster , buddy old pal, please do me a favor and edit your first post. Add your problem thread to the bottom of your first post so that people can see what happened and why we got to this point.

This one:
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Reactions: cfell

Super Moderator
Yup, that's what I used. Took a lot to get it all clean, but looked good as new.

Registered
:eek:

Guess I know what I'll be checking this weekend.

Registered
Well,
Thank you viper for talking me through the MAP connector failure.
With coaxing and a shot of PBBlaster, looking here:

Super Moderator
Yikes! Yea! That is dirty as hell. I wish I took a picture of mine before I cleaned it. It was much cleaner with the spacer, but it still didn't save me from a problem.

Registered
Viper, do you think its worth putting the spacer on? even if it keeps it a little cleaner it may be worth it? I just love spending money on my truck... :)

Super Moderator
Well, all emotions aside, my sensor was cleaner than all the others on here with a total of roughly 29k on the truck. I bought the truck in August of 2019 and installed the spacer in August of 2020. I just really thought it would save me from any of the issues with getting a code. There is another thread Bsimster started where we both got hit with a code and limp mode.
The monkey wrench in all this is that we both have Derringers. Could that have done anything? I dunno...

Long story short, it will keep the MAP sensor cleaner, but you still can't ignore the sensor like I thought I could. Sorry to talk out both sides of my mouth, but I'm just being up front so that your expectations will be set lower than mine were...

Reactions: tobyhd02

Registered
Thanks to all..

• do it
  • disconnect batteries.. both.
  • use the right solvent, gloves, etc.
  • small flat blade screwdriver and gun cleaning patches were helpful..
  • removing the MAP for me was difficult. It seemed to be stuck. I used a spritz of PBBlaster and just kept gently moving. It lifted straight out and carbon appears to be built up inside the manifold. A lot.
  • careful with the little blue sensor.. keep the sensor in correct position, DO NOT INVERT
  • clean bulk, loose soot
  • wrap patch around sensor, keeping correct orientation soak the patch and let it rest. Repeat.. gently wipe..
  • wrap patch around screwdriver and put solvent and gently scrub. This way you don鈥檛 have liquid running into the sensor.

I had to scrape some of the carbon the plastic.. without the patch..

installed, ran thru startup and runs great.. interesting the surging when running down hill at slack throttle.

Registered
Ok, I have been practicing my 鈥測es, I am an idiot鈥 schtick.. let鈥檚 see how I do.. ahem..

Is there a brief explanation of why the MAP sensor gets so loaded up? I have suspicions... but..

鈥淏etter to keep my mouth shut and thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.鈥

Registered
2018 2500 LTZ Z71 Custom Sport
After reading all the posts on this forum, I decided that I should pull and check my Sensor....15300 miles on 2018 truck... Sensor had very little carbon build up. It did not look like any of the photos on the site. Cleaned it and put it back. The good thing is I learned from the forum...First diesel owned so I am learning new things to check... Glad I found the forum so that I can learn more about my truck... Hope someday that I can contribute something that helps someone else...

Registered
Ok, I have been practicing my 鈥測es, I am an idiot鈥 schtick.. let鈥檚 see how I do.. ahem..

Is there a brief explanation of why the MAP sensor gets so loaded up? I have suspicions... but..

鈥淏etter to keep my mouth shut and thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.鈥
the TMAP is in the dirtiest places in the intake... before EGR and turbos etc .. the air right before entering the cylinders was CLEAN

so.. why is the TMAP dirty on an L5P

first and foremost .. unlike other DMAX generations. the TMAP 'sees' the EGR.. this is where the engine shits in its own mouth... so any time that the engine is generating soot AND a high EGR duty cycle.. lots of soot is dumped into the intake right next to the TMAP before going into the cylinder head - I am thinking cold idle.. and operating before SCR becomes active an the engine is using only EGR and not DEF yet.. as it has to wait for the catalyst temp to get into range..

second.. turbos and the PCV introduce oil into the air stream.. the turbo seal can leak although with such low miles on these trucks it should not be.. and engines when they are breaking in have some oil blow by in the crankcase...

third... could be a leaky injector .. makes more soot... but that should show up in balance rates I would think

overall health of a diesel use to be monitored by looking at the exhaust .. you could tell a lot from that..

now I watch MPG, REGEN frequency, DEF usage...

if the truck would be 'black smokin' in the old days.. you will see more frequent regens

if the truck isn't running right, and generating more NOX than usual.. it will drink more DEF before it reaches a level that sets off the CEL

and MPG is generally always the gold standard of engine health .. it will suffer the most and first.. generally, when something isn't right...

as soon as a sensor starts going south that effects air/fuel mixture you will loose power and economy again.. before it reaches a point of throwing a CEL ..

for those that are worried that this soot makes this sensor look like that...

think of what the intake valves and intake runner in the cylinder head looks like... and the DPF traps 99.9% or this .. the TMAP just catches a very small percentage of what's blowing past it...

41 - 60 of 95 Posts