Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m on my 5th Duramax 2014+ should have stopped buying Duramax trucks at 2016 , that started to get a chatter in the rear axle so I traded on a 2017 ... Never buy the first year of any truck .
The 2017 had a lot of DEF problems , had 2 injectors replaced at 37k .
Now I have a 2019 3500 so far besides just dropping it off for 3 recalls the truck has been pretty good .
Shame we pay all this money for these trucks and have to deal with this crap . I can’t say much for the gas trucks .
I had a 2016 1500 lease and I think it spent more time at the dealer than I drove it , was back to the dealer over 20 times for just about everything . I always said it was built on a Friday before a holiday weekend ... Glad I did not own it was a piece of crap .
Hate to say it but I bought a Toyota and no problems except oil changes .
If Toyota ever gets around to a medium duty diesel could give the big 3 a run for the money especially with the Hino diesels .
Don’t want to get off L5P topic , so far the 2019 has been pretty dependable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer. Had service bulletin 17-NA-171 (Hesitation, stalling, engine speed flare...) performed, another glow plug replaced and relearn, the block heater replaced under recall (finally), the DPF recall performed and the tranny flushed and filter changed, just over 42k mi.

They gave me a 2020 Elevation gasser to drive. They can keep that thing, I'll keep my Duramax.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Loud and erratic tapping/knocking

Good morning all,

Truck has 8900 miles on it, just started making a tapping sound thats very loud and erratic. Back of motor and clear as day from each side of truck at wheel wells.. Brought to dealer and after three days they tell me they don't know what it is, but its common to the motor and hand me a bulletin of common noises the diesels make. They obviously didn't spend any time on the truck. I had to go to the dealer the day after i dropped it off, because they couldn't duplicate the sound. ALL I did was start the truck and after a minute or two it started making the erratic tapping. At that point they said the diesel tech they want to look at it is off until tomorrow. I call BS. I would say this is not the "typewriter" tick, but at a loss at this point. Another local dealer maybe? The two techs I met at this dealer didn't look like they could put a chain on a bike.......together. Honestly I don't know if Im more upset about the service I got, or the fact that my brand new truck sounds like garbage.
If you are any where near the greater St Louis area I'd recommend the #1 volume GMC dealer in the US, Laura Buick GMC. People travel from all over to buy from them. They service more trucks than most. If you go to a dealer that has to order your Duramax and then expect them to provide the best service, good luck. No, I do not work for them. I've just had very good service. I explained the chug in 5th gear problem today and the service writer dug until he found the bulletin I had trouble finding and they got my ECM and TCM updated for me. No hassles. They performed the block heater and DPF recalls, replaced a glow plug, did the 17-NA-171 bulletin, flushed the tranny, and did a 25 point inspection in 5 hours and they called me to tell me they had the block heater in stick and ready to install on my truck...I did buy my truck from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ticking noise that ticks about 5 times on a cold start then when I am moving slowly I can hear it. But stops as soon as I hit the brakes. Sounds like a injector but shouldn't stop once I hit the brakes

101 - 109 of 109 Posts