Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this am my truck slung a belt.. I instantly turned around and hauled it to the house.. I got a gates belt to replace the other one and when I went to install I noticed a bunch of belt debris tangled up on the tensioner pulley. I removed the assembly and behold
20200418_150943.jpg
20200418_151005.jpg

What would cause this to happen?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reason I'm asking is 2 weeks ago I had my truck at the dealership for a recall.. While there i asked them to check a whinning noise coming from under the hood I hear when accelerating.. They told me my alternator was going bad.. It could last 3 days or years.. But wanted almost $900.00 to replace...which I would never pay...any how I'm trying to figure out if they miss diagnosed or is this a result of a failing alternator.. I agree with faulty tensioner.. But I'm a parts changer not a mechanic..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a loud whining noise on my LMM which I assumed was the alternator. In the process of taking it out, I spun the wheel on the tensioner and lo and behold it was a mess. I replaced it and the noise was gone.. Still have the original alternator in it to this day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a loud whining noise on my LMM which I assumed was the alternator. In the process of taking it out, I spun the wheel on the tensioner and lo and behold it was a mess. I replaced it and the noise was gone.. Still have the original alternator in it to this day.
So glad you posted that!!! I swapped out the tensioner with a gates and put a new belt on.. Noise is gone!!! Hopefully it was just a bad "egg"

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Reason I'm asking is 2 weeks ago I had my truck at the dealership for a recall.. While there i asked them to check a whinning noise coming from under the hood I hear when accelerating.. They told me my alternator was going bad.. It could last 3 days or years.. But wanted almost $900.00 to replace...which I would never pay...any how I'm trying to figure out if they miss diagnosed or is this a result of a failing alternator.. I agree with faulty tensioner.. But I'm a parts changer not a mechanic..
Whining noise you were hearing was likely the bearing in the tensioner.

Over the years I've had several of that style tensioner fail -- and not on pickup trucks....

Usually also destroys the belt.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Whining noise you were hearing was likely the bearing in the tensioner.

Over the years I've had several of that style tensioner fail -- and not on pickup trucks....
(been a bunch of years since the last one; knock on wood)

Usually also destroys the belt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So glad you posted that!!! I swapped out the tensioner with a gates and put a new belt on.. Noise is gone!!! Hopefully it was just a bad "egg"
So the dealer wanted you to pay $900 to replace a good part. Sheesh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts