Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

L5P with Codes - Covered Under 100k Mile Warranty?

13K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  Ron505 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been getting some codes over the last few months that are starting to get make me nervous (especially being a first time diesel owner), so I think it's time to get something done about it. It almost seems like it's doing it more often since installing the S&B Intake, but not positive. I filled up my DEF tank up from a truck stop pump around the middle of April. I'm at 65k miles, so I only have the 100k powertrain warranty to fall back on.

Here are the dates and the codes:
2/4/21 - P20EE NOX Sensor #1?
3/28/21 - P22FE NOX sensor #2?
4/3/21 - P22FE
4/13/21 - P20EE
4/25/21 - P20EE
5/4/21 - P11DC
5/10/21 - P22FE

These almost appear to me that they could be injector related, no? Do you know if any of this is covered under the PT Warranty?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Nervous Diesel Newb,
Ron

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, they should most definitely be covered. Emissions equipment is under warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Edit: the emissions stuff should, I wouldn’t think they would put up a fight about the intake. At least mine wouldn’t. I think the derringer is questionable as to warranty. I’ve heard mixed things on that.

if it were stock, it would be covered without question. Dealers may have different attitudes to the mods.

Reactions: Ron505
#3 ·
If that's the case, I'll go ahead and remove aftermarket items, and take it in for the Recalls, after the CEL comes back on. Also, I'm in search of a good GM Stealership around the Lancaster Ohio area if anyone knows of any.

#4 ·
Definitely take the Derringer off. They will know something was hooked up to the OBD port though.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll make it stock tomorrow. Threw another CEL tonight. Same thing. It's beginning to happen too often for me to feel comfortable clearing it so much.

#7 ·
Don't admit to the tuner, ever...when they ask, just say you had a OBD code reader to check and clear codes.

#10 ·
That's the rumor, but I've never heard of anyone confirming it. It does seem like it would be hard for Banks to make the claim that the Derringer doesn't affect your warranty if the TCM is logging torque levels, though.

#11 ·
Does that mean Banks will cover the warranty (or the hassle of arguing about it) if the truck is taken in with a derringer installed and warranty is denied?

#13 ·
My first diesel is really starting to stress me out. I got more codes yesterday. Can anyone tell me if these covered under warranty?

P0191: Fuel Rail Pressure A Circuit Range/Performance
P249D: Refer to service Manual for Definition

And I am ok to just clear these things and keep rolling until I get around to getting an appointment with the dealer for the recalls, upper oil pan leak, and emission codes?

You guys are really helping me through this, and I do appreciate it! But, I am starting to get pretty frustrated.

#14 ·
My first diesel is really starting to stress me out. I got more codes yesterday. Can anyone tell me if these covered under warranty?

P0191: Fuel Rail Pressure A Circuit Range/Performance
P249D: Refer to service Manual for Definition

And I am ok to just clear these things and keep rolling until I get around to getting an appointment with the dealer for the recalls, upper oil pan leak, and emission codes?

You guys are really helping me through this, and I do appreciate it! But, I am starting to get pretty frustrated.
I got that same code running the Derringer. The P0191. I assume it put you in limp also?

#21 ·
@Ron505 ,
I've had two different issues so far with my Derringer, first one was the FPR, second one was the TMAP. Banks has replaced the Derringer and the harness for me, and so far no more issues.
At this point, I would suggest clearing the codes, disconnecting the batteries and removing the Derringer. You can still use the iDash. Drive around for a couple weeks and see if your problem goes away.
With all that said, someone posted on here that the connector for the FPR on the engine harness has a new replacement part because of similar issues. There was also some kind of bulletin discussing it as well.

Reactions: cfell and Ron505
#23 ·
@Ron505 ,
I've had two different issues so far with my Derringer, first one was the FPR, second one was the TMAP. Banks has replaced the Derringer and the harness for me, and so far no more issues.
At this point, I would suggest clearing the codes, disconnecting the batteries and removing the Derringer. You can still use the iDash. Drive around for a couple weeks and see if your problem goes away.
With all that said, someone posted on here that the connector for the FPR on the engine harness has a new replacement part because of similar issues. There was also some kind of bulletin discussing it as well.
Good to know. If the issues do not return after removing it, I'll get ahold of Banks.

#22 ·
I forget, can I just clear the codes, then unplug Derringer from the OBDII, until this evening when I get around to removing everything correctly? As I stated, I have a lunch appointment in a while.

#24 ·
Theoretically, yes, the Derringer should go into bypass if you do that.
With that said, I wouldn't trust it...

#26 ·
Well, here's what I did. I removed the "Y" harness under the hood, and plugged the FPR and TMAP back in like stock. I left the Derringer connected to the iDash, and the iDash plugged into the OBDII port. I drove around like this for three weeks trouble free before I put the new Derringer and harness back in.

Reactions: cfell and Ron505
#27 ·
Thanks for all of your help. I just went a head and disconnected the Derringer from the iDash as well. So the Derringer is completely unhooked now. I'll drive for a while and see if that was the culprit.

Thanks again everyone!

#28 ·
Good luck Ron. Let us know how it works out.

#29 ·
Thank you Viper. And will definitely let you know.

#31 ·
Well, everything seemed to be fine with my trip in town. However, now I'm getting P249D on every restart. Clear it each time I start the vehicle, then it comes back upon restart. I'm really losing my patience.

#34 ·
The thing about trouble shooting on the forum is it helps more people than the op. If after you figure out his problem, and it's something we can do ourselves, the please post here. Nothing more aggravating today than spending 20 minutes on the phone waiting on tech support.

#35 · (Edited)
Thanks for the support Jay! Email sent.

Mikey, I'll be sure to post my findings/results as well.

#36 ·
Hey @Ron505 ,
How'd everything work out?

#38 ·
Hey guys, I've been too busy to mess with anything. But since disconnecting the Derringer, I'm still getting P249D CEL on every start. My plan is to remove the Derringer, idash and cold air intake, and make an appointment at the stealership for recalls, engine code and leaking upper oil pan.

#39 ·
I took the Duramax in today to get the Recalls, upper oil pan leak, and code P249D scheduled to repair next week. The service advisor said that they will need to look into what it's going to take to fix it all, and if it will be covered under warranty, then his manage would call me. And of course this was after waiting for the vehicle for 3 hours to determine that....ugh. I may be going somewhere else. Depends on what they come back with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.