Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hooked up the 35 ft 5th wheel that is 15k and pulled it up to my families property. This is my first long pull with the truck. I had my edge j/a on the tow setting. It did great on the freeway, awesome up the canyons where the speed limit was 55.. Pulled like a champ.. Then I got to fairview canyon.... This canyon speed limit is 35 mph and is 10-12% grades. I started going up and my trans and motor was getting hot (215 trans motor 225 or so) because the torque converter wouldn't lock up( i was going like 20mph).. I pulled over and had to put my truck in 4 low and turned the chip off so I wouldn't kill my trans, I tried to start going again and it felt like my truck had no power until 2300 rpm or so and then it would get going.. I had to pull the rest of the canyon (12 miles) in 4 low going about 20 mph 3rd gear (the tc was locked) with the rpm at 2900 or so.. I only plan on doing this once a year but my question is am I asking to much out of my truck?? Should I really have to go into 4 low to make it up this canyon?? I had a 12 v that was stick that would do 35 easy up the canyon with this load... Yes it was modded but still.. What do you guys think?? It just felt gutless on the low end..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires say 35 but really measure 33.5... And I'm just leaving the trailer up there for the summer because how bad the last part of the trip sucked!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm a anti-edge J/A. I know 3 people that towed with that on and was going up a good grade and blew their LB7s. My opinion is the Edge was your problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i would go with some efi tuning it would be a night and day difference in your truck and a set of rear leveling bags would prolly help you out alot also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Man everyone hates the edge! Maybe it is time for efi.. I've heard bad things about the edge so that's why I turned it off for the last part of the trip. And I do have airbags, just been to lazy to change my sig. I only have to run them at 30 psi to sit level. I love em.. Here is my question, if I get an efi tow tune do I have to worry about my stock trans??

·
Registered
393 Posts
You got tow/haul in that sum b?

·
Banned
17,252 Posts
Man everyone hates the edge! Maybe it is time for efi.. I've heard bad things about the edge so that's why I turned it off for the last part of the trip. And I do have airbags, just been to lazy to change my sig. I only have to run them at 30 psi to sit level. I love em.. Here is my question, if I get an efi tow tune do I have to worry about my stock trans??
Not at all. Usually, a tow tune is only about 40-50hp.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes t/h was on and od was locked out the whole time... But the tc won't lock until 25 or so if i remember correctly and there are some scary corners in this canyon so I didn't dare go past 20.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the tow tune would be fine on your stock tranny mine is 70hp if i remember right and it does just fine. i tow like that about once or twice a week given its pretty much flat here

·
Registered
393 Posts
Seems the pickup did OK then. Roll into the throttle. Cummins with the inline grunt & manual are pretty potent down low.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
IDK I'm thinking that edge J/A is your problem I've pulled some pretty steep hills in the mountains around here without any trouble

1 - 12 of 12 Posts