Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally gonna get the truck to the drag strip in a couple weeks. Haven't been down a strip in 12 years, so I'll call it my first time...and never with a diesel.
I'm sure I'll play around with it a little, but I'm looking for some insight.
Given that it has a pretty tall lift I'm nervous about lanching it in 4wd. I'll lower the torsion keys all the way, but it will still have pretty steep cv angles. I do have tie rods & a custom built front driveshaft, so I'm not to worried about those.
If I launch in 4wd I'm assuming I can't kick into 2wd under load with the push button t-case?
Or, do I just go with 2wd & ease into it? I have a feeling I'd be spinning most of the way down :gearjamin
Suggestions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would do a 10 to 15 pound 4 wheel launch. Play with it a few times starting with 10 pound and see what feels best to you. I would air your tires down a little too. Dont shift out of 4. It wont engage and shift back to 2 until you are off the throttle at the end of the track anyways.

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
I wouldnt launch a chevy with a lift and 37"s

·
Registered
379 Posts
With tie rods and trac bars he will be just fine. I have launched in several trucks with 40 inch tires. You cant do a 20 pound very safely, but 10 to 15 wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
i started at 5lbs and worked up to 15. im on 5" lift and 35's. 15lbs got iffy, my truck pulled hard right. but that was before i had tie rods. i had my front end all the way down too

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
With out flat angles I wouldn't even think about it. With the CST lift being a full drop it already puts a lot of stress on all the parts.

On DP there was a member that had a 6" CST lift that built up his truck and kept breaking parts in the steering and eventually took the lift off.

Side note: Sorry haven't contacted you. Been swamped with work but will call as I'm picking up the new to me truck next week and would love to get some pictures of both yours and mine together.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i launched my truck in 4wd 3 times with no problems. but holton was telling me that with such big tires a 2wd launch is just fine they will stick and you arent wasting the extra power on the front. so i did 2 2wd launchs and went .15 faster with no tire spin off the line at about a 4lb launch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I launched mine in 4wd at 20lbs and ripped the rear end out and snapped both tie rods, was not fun gatting it off the track, took almost an hour. Now I have traction bars and sleeves and haven't launched in 4wd yet. In 2wd at 10lbs in leaves just right with very little spin

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally made it out & had a blast! Also couldn't have been happier with the results. Good call, 10 lb 4wd launch netted the best result & very consistent.
I figured I'd run a real high 15, but would be thrilled if I could get into the 14's with the current tune.
Managed to pull off a 14.971 @ 89.57 with a 2.004 60ft
I'm happy with that! Not too bad for 7400lbs on 37's, & not even a puff of black smoke. I was able to run under 15.1 really consistently, had a best 60ft of 1.995 & best mph of 91.05.
I had too much fun, I see this getting expensive real quick!:drink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts