Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, My little brother has an 01 LB7 an blew a head gasket and his trans screwed up awhile back. So I am trying to help him out. I work for Pure Diesel Power and got him a head gasket set from Merchant Automotive, a set of ARP studs and a built transmission. I am starting the head gasket job this weekend. I am going to tear down a little bit of it tonight and come back in the morning and really hit it hard. I have many years of mechanical experience but have never had a Dmax apart. Are there any little tips or tricks you Dmax guru's could throw my way to help make this a smooth job? Thanks in advance for any and all help that is offered up!! :rockin

·
Registered
485 Posts
dont put studs in and then try and slide heads over, it wont happen u will hit firewall in back. slide studs into head then slide head into position and then you can thread studs. thats something i fought with and finally figured out.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
take your time. and DONT over torque injector supply lines.

·
Registered
485 Posts
also take pics and label plugs so you have some reference if youve never done one before, then you will have something to look back on. trust me you will get to some points where ur like crap how did this go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I should have said I have done a few searches before I got the truck up here. But I kinda new about the head stud thing. I knew I couldn't put the studs in before the head was on. But I can set the head all the way down on the block before I put the studs in right? And I have put a set of injectors in an LB7 but it was in a 5500 Kodiak.. so they are a little different under the hood!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
as long as ur careful and dont hurt the gasket, make sure the gasket is lined up good youll be fine

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Ill be sure to take a lot of pictures and label everything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I noticed they SUCKED when I did the injector job on the 5500 kodiak!! I might go to Fastenal in the morning and see if they have something better.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
i got a thread of my tear down a build up of my lb7 when i put arp studs an all new everything, if you want to see pics of how things are

·
Registered
369 Posts
got him a head gasket set from Merchant Automotive, a set of ARP studs and a built transmission
Man I wish I had a brother like you!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha.. He's paying for the parts, I am just doing the work! I'm not charging him, but he's gonna owe me BIG TIME!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when disconnecting the head from the exhaust is it better to take the manifolds off the heads?? Or disconnect the manifolds from the up pipes?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
off up pipes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was what I end up doing cause my head gasket kit came with those gaskets not manifold gaskets

1 - 20 of 28 Posts