Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started going through coolant pretty regularly, about a quart every 2-3 days. Will sometimes smoke white upon start up then later stop.
I was thinking a head gasket, but wanted to get some other opinions before ripping into it... Please let me know what you think :help

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
check the upper radiator hose in the morning after the truck has been sitting all night. the hose should not be pressurized at all. if it is hard, then you have headgasket issues.

·
VA Cowboy
5 Posts
2005 Duramax 2nd gen. Hey out of no where I got a low coolant message. I checked and sure enough I was half a gallon low. I can't see any leaks but after driving I smell coolant around the front of the engine but I don't see any steam. Any ideas of where to start.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
2005 Duramax 2nd gen. Hey out of no where I got a low coolant message. I checked and sure enough I was half a gallon low. I can't see any leaks but after driving I smell coolant around the front of the engine but I don't see any steam. Any ideas of where to start.
Water pump on the front of the engine.

·
VA Cowboy
5 Posts
They found my leak

It turns out that my 2005 Duramax leak was in the back of the engine. There is some type of cover plate where the water passes throught the rear of the engine. It wasn't a cheap fix. They had to pull the tranny and the fly wheel to get to it. If you suspect you have this problem this is how I was told to check it. Get the engine to operating temp then while it is running look under the truck in the bell housing area. If you see coolant dripping out of the bell housing you probably have the same problem. Don't for get to use all of the proper safety precautions when looking under a running truck:thumb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts