Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there im a newbie but i just bought a 2001 lb7 duramax and its completely stock with 121k miles on it and 10" of lift and 37" tires ;). anyways i was wondering what is the best chip for it. i would like for it to be able to smoke and have a nice power gain without messing up the truck or hurting the tranny.i've heard of smoke switches but have no clue about them. also efi live is a little to pricey and advanced for me but all ideas are greatly appreciated.also been hearing about ppe,edge,smarty,and banks six gun.thats just a few programmers people have told me about.thanks

· saw what you did there
15,168 Posts
they're not called "chips" anymore... just a heads up. :)

have your injectors been tested? Look into Edge/PPE/EFIlive

· I Sell Fireworks!
460 Posts
I prefer Cool Ranch doritos while driving. :rockin

As far as a programmer I am enjoying my PPE but looking to get an EFI Live tune soon as you can get it cheaper than PPE. If your set on a Programmer though a PPE Standard tuner would be plenty of power for a stock setup. My .02

· Registered
2,847 Posts
^ I like the sour cream and onion chips!

But look into PPE/EDGE/EFI-pretuned ecm

· Registered
572 Posts
if i had to do over i woulda just got a built tranny first cause once you feel the difference of a tuned max its hard to not run the hot tune for 3 weeks until you limp you ally or maybe thats just me, i have self control issues:eek:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the heads up and help guys.how much would it cost to get a built tranny and im liking the edge juice with attitude. but ive heard some people have had trouble with it. any info on how good or bad and how good it smokes, safely? ive heard that you can turn up the fuel settings or something with the edge and itll make it smoke? its either a edge juice with attitude or maybe a quadzilla stealth 2? cant decide.

· Registered
268 Posts
smoke means wasted power. i can buy you a pack of camels or lucky strikes if you would like?

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Get your injectors tested. And if you want smoke and all the power your stock tranny can handle pick up the quad. However being new to diesels and using a programmer could put your truck at risk. If you've got a heavy foot and drive it like a gasser get an edge cts. You'll need the gauges. Good luck and welcome to DF.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i prolly wont be able to control my foot that well once i get a taste of how it runs lol. im getting gauges(not sure what i need besides boost?). so if thats why your saying that quad isnt the best,then thats not a problem because im getting gauges. But if i did get the edge cts,whats the difference between it and the juice with attitude?

· Registered
89 Posts
I'm mostly stock, Edge w Attitude is a great add on for pullin my toy hauler up and over the BC mountains. Tranny is being upgraded soon though. I have driven in a Silverado with the transmission done, wicked difference.

· Registered
8,634 Posts
1st do gauges
-Edge Insight (various models)
-analog or digital gauges (pillar or console mount) get at least boost and EGT's
2nd decide on programmer
-PPE for canned
-EFI Live for more $ but you get custom tuning that has basically unlimited tweakabilty
3rd
-use new found power to break something, probably limp the tranny into submission
4th
-spend all your available cash money building trans
5th
-upgrade turbos/tuning/fuel/suspension
6th
-file for bankruptcy

· #SecretSquirrel
2,120 Posts
prosport gauges and EFI tuned ecm is what im doing.. ECM runs $500 or $600 custom tune... or you could buy my superchips for like 150

· Registered
21 Posts
Ppe is the way to go

As far as gauges

Glowshift I have been told is pretty decent for the money

If you do it right you can get the gauges and Ppe for under $500
where can i get ppe and gauges for under 500?? i wouldnt mind swithching my diablo to a ppe

· Registered
8,634 Posts
get autometer cobalts, they look great
or do ultralites/ultralite II's
really like autometer gauges, have them in our jeep

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.