Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 03 LB7...im looking for some feedback on a good suspension set up for pulling and daily driving. I like to keep the leveled look, right now, i have 1 inch blocks in rear and 2" keys in front. I attempted a boosted 4wd launch and the 2nd time i did, i snapped the cv shaft. It also had 194k on that axle...so i dont know if it was weak or i have bad cv angle...it doesnt look bad. But i need feedback...and if someone can tell me how to post picture of truck...lol

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For boosted 4x4 launches you want to have the axles parallel or even a little negative. Any positive angle on the axles increases the chance of breaking an axle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For boosted 4x4 launches you want to have the axles parallel or even a little negative. Any positive angle on the axles increases the chance of breaking an axle.
How bout for sled pulling? Think I'll be fine with keys and bttom out the screws? Ill have blocks in the back for my suspension, in place of the bump stops

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awesome looking truck. Can you really see out of those headlights?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome looking truck. Can you really see out of those headlights?
Not at all, you can see HIDs thru them, but they emit almost nothing, all the light comes from the fogs with 8k 55w HIDs

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
Good looking truck.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Two ways to go about it for daily driving and sled pulling without having to touch anything.
Option 1: Go back to stock height in front and reverse level in rear. This will keep all the angles up front flat or slightly negative and you won't have to touch anything ever. MIght need to do some trimming to get tires to fit without rubbing though.

Option 2: Install lift 4" or 6" lift and decrank to desired height and small block out back to keep level look. This will give you flat angles as well along with allowing you to run larger tires.

Reason you broke the CV is because you are cranked in the front and they didn't like the stress. Also make sure you have HD tie rods along with supports for your pitman and idler arm at the least.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two ways to go about it for daily driving and sled pulling without having to touch anything.
Option 1: Go back to stock height in front and reverse level in rear. This will keep all the angles up front flat or slightly negative and you won't have to touch anything ever. MIght need to do some trimming to get tires to fit without rubbing though.

Option 2: Install lift 4" or 6" lift and decrank to desired height and small block out back to keep level look. This will give you flat angles as well along with allowing you to run larger tires.

Reason you broke the CV is because you are cranked in the front and they didn't like the stress. Also make sure you have HD tie rods along with supports for your pitman and idler arm at the least.
Thanks, yeah, i got the braces and sleeves. And i got the bolts backed all the way out, i guess the keys dont help

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah keys don't help at all. If you don't mind playing with the bolts all the time at the tracks you can remove the keys and just crank the bolts to the desired area for DD use. Still won't be able to do boosted launches on the street though.

What a few people have done is put in washers or make spacers to go between the bolt and key so they get the desired height each time after the even is completed and drive home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah keys don't help at all. If you don't mind playing with the bolts all the time at the tracks you can remove the keys and just crank the bolts to the desired area for DD use. Still won't be able to do boosted launches on the street though.

What a few people have done is put in washers or make spacers to go between the bolt and key so they get the desired height each time after the even is completed and drive home.
Thats a good idea, thanks man

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,970 Posts
When I pull, I take the bolts for the keys completely out and put them in the cup holder. I use washers to keep my height where I want it to be with the bolts in. My truck sits level, but the rear ride height is low compared to a lot of trucks as well.
If your cv's have any downward angle to them at all when its just sitting, you will keep breaking them. They have to be at least level or have a negative angle to keep them intact and not have the front end trying to walk back and forth on you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts