Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..I am looking at buying a truck for work..its a 2004 Chevy 2500HD LS CCSB 4x4 172000 miles..they want $14000

What should I look for with this truck..I have an 07 LBZ..so Im not familiat with this one.what is your guys opinion on this truck..and does this have the allison? I know it has the LB7 bc the VIN number.

Its an hour and a half from where I live..so when I get the chance Im honda go test drive it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Here's what I can think of off the top of my head:
It does have an Allison 1000, 5 speed. Biggest thing is injectors. Price is a bit high for an LS, which should be cloth seats.
Best thing to do is grab the VIN and see what has been done with it.
Is this for sale from a dealer or private?
Carfax will tell some stuff but only maintenance and/or if it has been wrecked and fixed by insurance.
Test drive it and see how she runs through the gears.
Pull the sticks on the engine and tranny to see what condition the fluids are in. Paper towel test for the engine oil to see if the injectors are leaking.
Also, check to see if the water pump is leaking. You'll see coolant on the driver's side front of the block behind the intercooler pipe.
Any mods?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its at a dealer..and I dont believe there are any mods..but maybe..bc there is a boost gauge under the dash I saw in the pics..how can you tell if the injectors are leaking?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
You can do the paper towel test. Pull the dipstick out a see where the oil level is. If it is over the full line them wipe it dry. Put it in and back out:

Then take a drop of oil off the dipstick and it leaves a halo around the oil on a clean paper towl there is a good chance that it's diesel fuel (its not 100% accurate but if you have higher than normal oil levels or are "making oil" lol...it's a good chance the injectors are leaking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another good way to tell if the injectors are bad is to start the truck and look at the exhaust, if there is a light white or grey smoke coming from there the injectors are more than likely bad. Or if you want to be certain, have the dealer do an injector balance check.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If it is at a dealer, make them throw it on their diagnostics machine (with you standing behind them) and check the balance rates of the injectors. In park should be +-6 and in drive +-4 :thumb

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
I agree that you need to watch them check balance rates on injectors. Also, maybe $14k is normal in your area, but I paid $17k for mine and it only had 77k miles and that was from a Chevy Dealer so I would try to work the price down a couple grand. But then again, I don't like paying anyone what they want for anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would look harder I bought mine for 5 grand it had more miles but it was well taken care of it was supervisors truck from the company I work for. Keep your eyes out there are good deals out there

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the dealership doesn't take trade ins so we aren't going there.lol..but we are just trying to find a duramax to put a utility bed on for working in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it is at a dealer, make them throw it on their diagnostics machine (with you standing behind them) and check the balance rates of the injectors. In park should be +-6 and in drive +-4 :thumb
I thought it was the other way around:

Park +/- 4
Drive +/- 6

·
Registered
113 Posts
That price seems way high. Try a Craigslist search via "Search Tempest" to see what others of that year/options are being listed for.

Head gaskets are another possible issue. I bought a 2wd '01 CCLB for 10K and immediately dropped another 10K in it for injectors/headgaskets (knew this when I bought it), inj pump, water pump (both items just because it was the thing to do while I had the engine torn apart) and Mike L stage III tranny. Love the truck, get close to 20 mpg with cruise at 65. Have two efi tunes to upload this weekend from Trent Nell and I'm hoping to get the mileage up to 22 or so.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check pump rub also, if it thumps when you stop and take off thats a problem with the t-case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts