Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to need headgaskets in my lb7. I'm going to be doing this myself and have done plenty of research and am totally comfortable with it. My only question is to those who have been through this is, With 177,xxx miles on stock injectors is it just crazy to not do them, or do i play roulette. The only obvious reason would be cost. If i buy just a package/kit I'll be under 1200 with Studs. Add injectors and I'm near 4,000? Any thoughts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I would plan on doing injectors at the same time. You will see when you pull the pressure lines off that a ton of rust/junk will fall into the holes. You can try and clean it out, but if it was mine I would just be happy knowing everything is new and good for awhile.

·
Vendor
2,190 Posts
Get you balance rates checked. With that many miles on them, they could go the next day, or you could get another 30,000 or so on them. It's hard to say especially if you are not showing any symptoms. We see that our customers are all over the place with mileage on their original injectors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a snap-on souls ultra but the truck is in my driveway, so I'll bring it home with me and get the balance rates. Anything specific like idle, under load ?? And also I would like to make it all new but Its about the cash right now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only obvious reason would be cost. If i buy just a package/kit I'll be under 1200 with Studs. Add injectors and I'm near 4,000? Any thoughts
A set of 8 injectors can be had for under $2000. You shouldn't be at $4000 but at $3000.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I would plan on doing injectors at the same time. You will see when you pull the pressure lines off that a ton of rust/junk will fall into the holes. You can try and clean it out, but if it was mine I would just be happy knowing everything is new and good for awhile.
x2 on this. Only difference for me was my injectors were bad, so i went ahead and pulled the motor and did headgaskets and studs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ii finally checked my balance rates tonight at idle. Truck is manual trans so no in gear rates shown. Also with the bad head gaskets its hard to get up to temperature. Rates are as follows
Cyl1 - -1.1
Cyl2 - 0.0
Cyl3 - 0.6
Cyl4 - 0.5
Cyl5 - 0.3
Cyl6 - 1.0
Cyl7 - -0.9
Cyl8 - -0.7

All figures from my solus ultra in mm3 ImageUploadedByAG Free1364608878.714673.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1364608892.661161.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
X2 good numbers as long as it was at operating temp

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
those are some great rates for that many miles! but as mentioned, it has to be at operating temperature.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that makes me feel better but i guess tomorrow i'll try and get it up to temperature. It just makes me nervous with how much pressure builds up in the coolant system in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
863 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts