Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I just purchased my first Diesel, I bought it with a fifth wheel camper. Thought it was a deal i couldn't pass up. I figured I'd have to put a little TLC into the truck to get it dependable, then I got the WOW this stuffs expensive shock. It started with a long crank warm ans a heavy spark knock towing.( mind you this was our test run local camping trip) So I did a little research and lost my stomach thinking about replacing injectors out of pocket with-in a week of purchasing a truck and fifth wheel. I got lucky and found a reciept in the truck for a dealer that is about an hour from the house. It stated they replaced #6 injector in June under warrenty. The truck is out of warrenty a full year. Hoping it was something they had done causing the hard start I dropped it off. They called back the next day and said that all 8 injectors were bad and they would replace them under warrenty. Mind you I never asked any questions at all other than Can you check and see if #6 injector is the problem. Well long story short I waited a week for the injectors to come in, took the truck back. It only took the tech about 5 hours to do the repair.I picked it up no charge. I brought the truck home and started inspecting. I was kinda curious with the short install time(short cuts) if everything was solid. Well it looked OK, I guess. The technician(parts changer at this point) gooped the silicon on over the the old at every gasket and o-ring location. Its sealed but come on, do it right. they did not even change the fuel filter or oil filter, never asked anything... i still wasn't complaining at this point. free injectors out of warrenty:poke[1]:
Well everything looked sound under the hood, nothing missing. So we went camping put roughly a 1000 tow miles on it. Got home and I decided to start going throught the truck and fixing the little things. Thanks to this forum i repaired alot of things with no direct out-of pocket expenses.

This bring me to tonights repair. I still have a hard start warm, not to bad, but enough for me to start hunting it down. I planned to start with the fuel lines to the fuel filter. Upon disassembly is when my aggrivation started. when i remove the K&N crappy intake system from the truck I noticed a premade hole in the end of the filter @ least a half inch. I can only imagine how much crap has bypassed the filter and caused damage that i may see down the road. the sensor mount screws were the wroung size and pulled the threads out of the housing. I had to pull it for inspection of the sensor sure enough debris all over the sensor element. When I pulled the intercooler pipe I noticed all the retainers and bolts missing on the injector lines:cookoo[1]: and one of the fuel filter housing bolts gone. Darn Technician done my truck dirty:beat Then the fuel hoses really showed there wear... hooly crap, they turn to dust when touched. How are these things even holding a prime? Well any way, I plan to replace All fuel lines(hoses). Why didn't the tech try to make more money replacing all this? I mean come on, i was getting free injectors I probably would have spent the money with them, not now with all of the stuff falling off. I don't even know if i want to take it back for them to look look at.

Question; Does anyone sell a hose kit complete for the 03 LB7?
Does anyone know all of the sizes used?
What type of hose and what pressure?
What about the line to the tank, have anyone been cutting the rubber off of the one piece line sets or replacing the whole thing?

Ill keep it coming. I ll try to post pics soon

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel line update

Well I remove the fuel lines today and split them to check the inside for signs of holes. I found a pin hole on the inlet line to the filter housing. Hopefully this is my long crank hot. I am still trying to decide whether to use the molded fuel lines from GM or regular fuel line. I am replacing all six hose and rebuilding the filter head. I noticed that the GM fuel lines have a inner lining, almost a silicon or slick rubber. No one in town sells anything like it in bulk. i tried six places. Question:

What is the fuel pressure in these lines?30 psi, 60 psi
Can I use fuel hose that is not intended for fuel injection?

I have looked through some threads and seen people say just use regular fuel hose. How long will it last? A couple of years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

There is negative pressure in the fuel lines.

The CP3 pulls the fuel from the tank.... there is no fuel pump pushing the fuel to the engine.
I hadn't looked closely at the system yet, so what your saying is the CP3 is the supply pump, Is this the same for all Dmax models to current?
Thanks again I'll be fixin the truck 2morrow witn the fuel line I have at the house.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You've a 10yr 200k mile warranty on the sticks. From the origional date of purchase that is. Mine runs out next month. I'd LOVE a fresh set before then, but with my Murpheys Law luck, they'll crap out in november...

Edit: After a brief moment of thought, it might be a 7/200k. I coulda sworn they re-did the policy and made it a 10/200 though. So you may have gotten lucky indeed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuel lines

just replace my fuel hose, found a pin hole on the 1/2 inch that goes from ficm to filter housing. after all of that i still have a intermittent extended crank hot or cold. i'm going to repressurize the tank and try again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts