Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head gasket took a dump so I am thinking about buying a long block rather than doing head gaskets myself, looks to be about the same amount of work and maybe ONLY(ha ha like I have money in the first place) $3K more for a long block with a warranty. Want to upgrade to ARP studs but everything else stock.

Don't really trust local engine builders as dmax's seem a bit specialized and there are several online engine reman places, anybody ever used one or could recommend one?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seemed to use a bit of oil, say 1qt every 4K (which I could probably live with. And It just hydro locked on me when I hit the key the other day, I didn't stay on the key long but I have a bit of fear that it might have hurt it worse.

I'm not totally against just doing head gaskets but for the amount of work and $ it might make sense. I figured I would have to mill the heads and possible to valve guides and seals and valve job (that might be where my oil loss is coming from, after that much work I would be into it $2k anyway with no warranty and may not fix the oil consumption issue either.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or any local to you (anyone that reads this) shop with a good reputation, I'm sure we could work out the shipping.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump for the morning crowd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'd be interested to hear what the guys think.

Sub'd

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After talking to several people they all talked me into replacing head gaskets on my own. Ordered the grade C gaskets with ARP studs from ATP Trucks yesterday. Still not sure what to do with the heads, leave them alone, pressure/flatness check or go in for full valve and seal job?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure how much you have to spend but every time we have a tractor one into our shop (we have a family farm) with head gasket problems the head gets sent out to a machine shop to be tested and we do valves if they say they look worn or if they have over so many hours sense they have Been replaced we do it cuz we have it apart. but that's mostly on online 6 John Deeres. Just a thought.

2002 Chevy 2500HD lb7 no emissions ecsb
5inch exhaust to 6 in stack
K&N CAI
Pro Fab intake horn
PPE boost valve
Efi Live not installed due to not working belived to be because mass air flow sensor not working.
When efi live is on the truck won't build over 5psi of boost and when shifts drops to 1000rpm on all tunes
The tunes are from Duramax Tuner 1 stock 2 light tow 3 heavy tow 4 100hp street tune 5 200hp race tune.
Truck runs the same on all tunes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts