Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the turbo out to swap in a batmowheel and I fired the truck up after installation. After about 5 minutes I shut the truck off when I noticed a huge amount of oil under the truck. I am almost 100% sure it is leaking from the turbo drain tube since the oil was coming down from both sides from the top of the transmission. I did replace the drain gasket. I’m just hoping someone else has had this problem and found a solution. I’m going to be pulling the down pipe and up pipes again tomarrow to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just took down pipes and up pipes off. The drain from the turbo seems tight, I don’t see how the amount of oil that came out for the short period of time the truck was running, could have come from there.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,547 Posts
Is the drain tube cracked? Not likely but it could happen. Did some debris get in there where the gasket seals and not let it sit flat and leave a void for it to leak from. There is a good amount of oil that goes through the turbo and back into the engine there, so it doesn't take long to create a massive puddle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the drain tube cracked? Not likely but it could happen. Did some debris get in there where the gasket seals and not let it sit flat and leave a void for it to leak from. There is a good amount of oil that goes through the turbo and back into the engine there, so it doesn't take long to create a massive puddle
I thought there was a chance the tube was cracked so I pulled the whole turbo again. What I did notice was whoever owned the truck before me, must have not replaced the old gasket that connected the drain tube to the turbo. The gasket that was underneath the one that was on there when I pulled the turbo off was rock solid. Took me an hour to scrape it off. I probably should clean that gasket surface on the block again because it’s not 100% clean. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts