Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering about everyones opinion about merchants high idle mod.

Merchant Automotive - High Idle Valet Switch

I have an 01 LB7 and I'd like High Idle. I'm not experienced with wiring and if there is a plug and play alternative that is this cheap, then I'd strongly consider it. I live in california so it doesnt get consistently cold, but I do like to idle my truck when I can. I heard it isnt great to let it idle at low rpms like 650 due to the seals in the engine.

Let me know what you think please!
Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if you guys could tell me how difficult it is to do the mod yourself and the costs involved I'd really appreciate it

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What he said. I bought 2 ECM pins from the dealer in case I messed one up. All of the parts you need are really cheap.
Ok, if you wouldnt mind helping me out some more. Should I buy from that site since it's pre crimped and ready to go? How many do i need? and how many should I buy? And I've read it's as easy as running the wire from the ecm to the green and white brake pedal wire. All your info helps I appreciate it guys!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok, if you wouldnt mind helping me out some more. Should I buy from that site since it's pre crimped and ready to go? How many do i need? and how many should I buy? And I've read it's as easy as running the wire from the ecm to the green and white brake pedal wire. All your info helps I appreciate it guys!
If done correctly, you only need one pin. I messed my first pin up by crimping it to a wire that was too heavy of a gauge. Too thick of a wire wont fit into the ECM pin hole. I would personally just buy the pins from the dealer and wire from Radio shack or something like that. I didnt have the special terminal crimpers either so I crimped it with regular wire crimpers as tight as possible and then I soldered the connection. Here is a great write up on the process. I might also add that you can run the wire to under the fuse box in the engine compartment which is easier than running the wire all the way to the pedal.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/110975-how-high-idle-01-02-lb7.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If done correctly, you only need one pin. I messed my first pin up by crimping it to a wire that was too heavy of a gauge. Too thick of a wire wont fit into the ECM pin hole. I would personally just buy the pins from the dealer and wire from Radio shack or something like that. I didnt have the special terminal crimpers either so I crimped it with regular wire crimpers as tight as possible and then I soldered the connection. Here is a great write up on the process. I might also add that you can run the wire to under the fuse box in the engine compartment which is easier than running the wire all the way to the pedal.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/110975-how-high-idle-01-02-lb7.html
So turns out my local dealer is living up to the hype of "stealer" instead of dealer. They want them at 4.50 a piece and minimum 5 qty. When I said i'd look around his tone changed instantly and he said "ok thanks bye." I think I'll try my luck with buying the pre crimped ecm from btdiesel. If I'm not doing the valet switch, does that change how much wire I need? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
So turns out my local dealer is living up to the hype of "stealer" instead of dealer. They want them at 4.50 a piece and minimum 5 qty. When I said i'd look around his tone changed instantly and he said "ok thanks bye." I think I'll try my luck with buying the pre crimped ecm from btdiesel. If I'm not doing the valet switch, does that change how much wire I need? Thanks again
The dealer near me, told me they didn't have any so I ordered it the pre-crimped one from BTDiesel. You will have plenty of wire, I had more than enough to run it from the ECM to the green/white wire by the brake pedal just like this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Posting for future reference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer near me, told me they didn't have any so I ordered it the pre-crimped one from BTDiesel. You will have plenty of wire, I had more than enough to run it from the ECM to the green/white wire by the brake pedal just like this.
Ok awesome man, Thanks alot. Glad to know that "kit" has all I need. Instead of going through the firewall, I might go under the fuse box if it's at all easier. How often do you use yours? It has its perks forsure, in the lly's and up, obviously everything is programmed to idle high when temps are low, but I don't think they have the option of turning it on manually which is nice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont know anything about the product you are looking at. I had to call two different dealers because the first one would only sell me a whole pack. The second dealer sold me two.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I use mine when it's cold as well as when I'm jump starting some one, brings the alternator into it's "power band" so to say. And I did like the others said, just one pin from one of my local suppliers and a wire to the brake pedal switch, works like a champ.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know anything about the product you are looking at. I had to call two different dealers because the first one would only sell me a whole pack. The second dealer sold me two.
It's a pre-crimped ecm pin with wire. I don't want to dance with the dealers anymore, they always have something you want and its at a premium. This takes the crimping error away. Only thing that sucks is that shipping is 10$

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use mine when it's cold as well as when I'm jump starting some one, brings the alternator into it's "power band" so to say. And I did like the others said, just one pin from one of my local suppliers and a wire to the brake pedal switch, works like a champ.
I think it's cool that i can idle it higher and get out of my truck to hear my straight pipe at work :rof

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's a pre-crimped ecm pin with wire. I don't want to dance with the dealers anymore, they always have something you want and its at a premium. This takes the crimping error away. Only thing that sucks is that shipping is 10$
Oh ok, thats not a bad option. You will probably pay more money for sure but it would be slightly easier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ok, thats not a bad option. You will probably pay more money for sure but it would be slightly easier.
So far it went well! Took me far longer than expected and I just ran it through the firewall where my gauges are at. There's a couple "Green and Black" wires under the fuse box that I didnt want to cut into. I have 850, 1250, and 1750. 1750 seems like overkill but it's nice to have. Does anyone know why my gauges would be a little off as far as their "rest" position? Like when I turn my truck off the battery gauge falls farther than it did previously.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i just did this mod, i know i put the pin in the right hole and the switch has 12v going through it but it doesn't work. the cruise buttons do nothing, anyone else had this problem ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue, my cruise buttons do not start the high idle. Did you ever get yours up and running?:help

1 - 20 of 32 Posts