Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

lb7 more turbo whistle

18K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Minerigger 
#1 ·
What are the best ways to get the most turbo whistle out of my 2001 lb7. Got a 5in MBRP straight, and im goin to cut up my airbox this week. Any other suggestions, i can hardly tell its there. Ive heard of a "mouth peice" mod but dont know much about it. Also heard about removing the turbo resonator, but again cant find much on it.

#2 ·
long ago i yurned for more whisltle, tried all kinds of stuff like gut the air box....useless, ppe boostvalve....hardly noticed anything but 3 psi higher on the gauge.... intake horn ported did alittle and removing the resonator was also minimal. the only way your gonna make your lb7 sing is to do the batmowheel or upgrade turbo to a s366. but it cost alot of money to do those mods. batmowheels are 400, could also look into the whetzel wheel, basically same thing as a batmo just cheaper. i have a batmo in my truck and if i were to do it all over again i would have just upgraded to a s366 for about a grand more and had a way better set up. to do the batmo its best to pull the turbo..which can be a PAIN. especially if your not too tech savy. me, im a tech have lots of experience wrenching on the dmax's and the end result of the batmo was just alittle more whistle. so combined with all my little before mods, i can hear my turbo but shes no 6.0 ford motor /turbo whistle. its just the nature of the beast. if i had to pay labor to install the batmo and with the price of the wheel itself..i would have been majorly disappointed but since i did it my self i could live with it. would i do again.. NOPE! new and improved turbo would be my way of choice.

#6 ·
This is just false information, LB7'S do have a mouthpiece. On my old LB7 I did a Rick D Lance mouthpiece, S&B intake and 5 inch straight pipe and the turbo was much much louder. Not nearly as whistly as my lbz but much more noticeable. Did the mouthpiece and intake first, can also do a downpipe to help.

#4 ·
and on a side note for that bills 5in intake....gonna need efi live to straighten out the fuel mapping so it doesnt fall on its face down low in the rpms.

sure it can be bolted on and run but the truck will have no lowend power. a buddy of mine got one.

#5 ·
thanks trickydave. Ya, i know that the lb7s arent going to get the whistle that a powerstroke will:cookoo[1]:. I justed want to try and get some more, and i dont really wanna spend a bunch of money either, its just sound lol. Why do the powerstrokes get so much whistle?? I know that the 6.0s had the turbo mounted right on top of the engine. Is that part of it, or what is it?

#9 ·
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Rim
this made mine whistle a lot better than stock lol

#11 ·
lol i cant really afford a new turbo right now, stocker will have to do. So will gutting the airbox help? and could one of you guys send me a link for the mouthpeicemod? I dont really understand it

#12 ·
Honestly a new DP and Turbo horn made the biggest difference for me. Idk what "gutting the intake" does, or even is.

#14 ·
Last I knew bills intakes were no longer available. Could be wrong though. Ford 6.0 has a variable geometry turbo and a different set up with the vanes. Mounting location has nothing to do with the sound. Maybe ford shit their pants when the d max came out in 01 and decided to make a loud turbo set up on the 6.0 is 03 to try and scare us which we all know was a fail moment on them...lol

#15 · (Edited)
Google pro-fab. Look up the lb7 INTAKE HORN. Not "mouthpiece". Made by rick lance. I have one, they are quality and only 100 bucks. If you get a metal tube intake that will help a little. The resonator is the piece that sits atop the engine compartment that says 6.6l on it. Not being mean just helpful

#16 ·
Ok they have went up 9 bucks since I bought mine

#17 ·
Intake, Horn, DP, Intercooler Piping, Y-bridge. Boost valve.

#20 ·
Cold air intake with the metal pipe made my turbo whistle loader.

#21 ·
Also yes an intake with a metal tube will get you more turbo noise up the pipe. If I were after noise I'd make a metal tube intake, do the profab tuebo horn, and a downpipe at a minimum, or I'd call russel(yellowchevy) and ask him. That guy knows tons of stuff about an ihi turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.