Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, Hoping someone can shed some light on this topic. Yes, I read the post on parking break fixes and none of that answered the question. I have replaced the parking break shoes, parking break hardware then adjusted,replaced both left/ right cables and the intermediate cable. I have taken the truck to two different reputable shops and had them look and adjust as they seen needed. The truck will not hold in neutral on a slope greater than 10-15 degrees, it just wants to wander down the hill. I even did the hold the break release and pump the parking break pedal trick. I have considered putting new rotors on and even replacing the entire break pedal assembly. I just do not want to throw away money. Look forward to hearing back from everyone. Note the truck will hold on a gradual hill and I can put in in drive and reverse and you can feel it holding.

· Registered
2011 Crew Cab 4x4 dully LML
307 Posts
Have you adjusted the park shoes bake inside of the rotor? Remove the rubber plug between springs and dust cover in the top and spin the star is inside. May have to make you a tool using a screw driver dent almost 90* unless you have a brake tool.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are adjusted and I have had two shops check on everything. The cables are as taught as can be when pedal is engaged. It’s only in 15+degree slopes that it will drift and not hold. Like I described it’s all new with the exception of the rotors and parking break assembly inside the cab. Suggestions are welcome cause this S is driving me crazy eating up my time.

· Registered
169 Posts
It's a long shot but have you tried taking a green scotchbrite and Brakekleen to the parking brake side of the rotors?

Maybe the rotors are glazed?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a long shot but have you tried taking a green scotchbrite and Brakekleen to the parking brake side of the rotors?

Maybe the rotors are glazed?
I have't tried that. Its possible the hub side of the rotors could be glazed. I will try that after I try the roll slow and apply break and repeat to run the pads in. Only because, I really don't want to pull the rotors again if I don't have too.. : )))))

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if you get the truck rolling slow and slowly apply parking brake, repeat as necessary to run-in the pads?
I'm going to try this today. Right now, I'm so aggravated with it I would wear a pink toto and jump trough a ring of fire if it would make the breaks hold... probably not.. Or heck I could just replace the rotors and and parking break assembly for around 400 more and it will be all new. Were is my beer I need to cry in it!

· Registered
2011 Crew Cab 4x4 dully LML
307 Posts
Side note press the Peale brake pedal and have someone verify that both driver and the passenger side cables are moving at the backing plate. If so I would think it would narrow it down. If cable move a connection then it would be the brake shoes need to be adjusted tighter.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if you get the truck rolling slow and slowly apply parking brake, repeat as necessary to run-in the pads?
I performed this procedure and it holds on the hill now, about 25 degree angle. I’m having to complete depress the paki g break pedal though. I believe I got about as much adjustment as I can get on the shoes and the wheels still turn. Thoughts?

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm going to try this today. Right now, I'm so aggravated with it I would wear a pink toto and jump trough a ring of fire if it would make the breaks hold... probably not.. Or heck I could just replace the rotors and and parking break assembly for around 400 more and it will be all new. Were is my beer I need to cry in it!
Fridge.

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I performed this procedure and it holds on the hill now, about 25 degree angle. I’m having to complete depress the paki g break pedal though. I believe I got about as much adjustment as I can get on the shoes and the wheels still turn. Thoughts?
Is the cable new? Maybe its lost some of its strength and stretching as you bind it up. You only have so much throw on the pedal. Just a thought

· Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Can’t remember exactly but believe that there’s also an adjustment on the pedal itself.

· Registered
688 Posts
lift up on pedal, then push down, do it several times, see if pedal gets higher......had to do that on one of my trucks but dont remember which one

· Premium Member
12,085 Posts
I can't really remember but it's on here somewhere, did you try searching it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.