Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the truck runs and drives just fine, but at an idle it jumps up about 200 rpm every 5-10 secconds. When I pump the top of the fuel filter, no more rough idle. put a brand new filter on thinking it could be that, no changes, pulled the bleeder valve screw and it was totally destroyed so i replaced that and still nothing changed. bought a new water in fuel sensor and it wont fit into the filter so im thinking it may be that. Has anyone had a similar problem or is there anyone who might know whats going on?? i dont think its bad injectors but i just dont understand it seems like air is getting into the fuel lines but not enough to throw a code. this is a completely stock 2001 duramax if that helps you. any help would be appriciated and thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Moved-- not a 911 problem

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Could be injectors. Check balance rates and for fuel in oil. Any smoke at idle or acceleration?

More than likely though it needs a FPRV. When these go bad they cause surging idle like your explaining.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any luck on getting the idle fixed? Mine gave me a bit of a scare this morning- idling a bit rough in gear. It was a cold morning, but through all the lights to work it was idling rough, almost like it was missing on a cylinder, even after it was warmed up. When I got to work and put it in park it sounded fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My old truck did this run a bottle of bg244 cleaner through it it really cleaned mine up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did a google search and this forum came up. I'm desperate to get my 04 GMC Duramax tuned up for long road trips and North Dakota winters.

Can a bad FPR lead to other issues? or just is it a nuisance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts