Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my duramax. It’s a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500hd. I started rolling coal one day (stock truck) and with the already hazy exhaust smoke, I knew that I had dropped an injector.
I let my dad test drive it and he must have pushed it past the edge as it starts knocking and blowing out white smoke. It also shakes extremely violently and I can hear a bad metal clanging sound from the firewall/ back half of the engine, but is hard to tell exactly where. Sounds like maybe bell housing or turbo making the noise, but I fear it may be internal.
I pulled passenger side glow plugs and unplugged the ficm to see which one had dropped, which it turned out to be #7.
I replace the injector, and the knock goes away along with a lot of the smoke. Still shakes and I can hear the metal clanging still. I figured I sheared the pin on the harmonic balancer so I pulled that and it appears to be in good condition, with no noticable chunks of metal or rubber missing, and the pin on the crank is perfectly fine. I haven’t driven it as I’m scared that driving it will make it much worse.
My only two guesses are either motor mounts or some sort of internal engine damage, but motor mounts appear fine to me. I’m pretty good with maintenance, as I have had the truck for 3,000 miles and have already changed air filter, fuel filter, and oil+ oil filter. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need help with my duramax. It’s a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500hd. I started rolling coal one day (stock truck) and with the already hazy exhaust smoke, I knew that I had dropped an injector.
I let my dad test drive it and he must have pushed it past the edge as it starts knocking and blowing out white smoke. It also shakes extremely violently and I can hear a bad metal clanging sound from the firewall/ back half of the engine, but is hard to tell exactly where. Sounds like maybe bell housing or turbo making the noise, but I fear it may be internal.
I pulled passenger side glow plugs and unplugged the ficm to see which one had dropped, which it turned out to be #7.
I replace the injector, and the knock goes away along with a lot of the smoke. Still shakes and I can hear the metal clanging still. I figured I sheared the pin on the harmonic balancer so I pulled that and it appears to be in good condition, with no noticable chunks of metal or rubber missing, and the pin on the crank is perfectly fine. I haven’t driven it as I’m scared that driving it will make it much worse.
My only two guesses are either motor mounts or some sort of internal engine damage, but motor mounts appear fine to me. I’m pretty good with maintenance, as I have had the truck for 3,000 miles and have already changed air filter, fuel filter, and oil+ oil filter. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks
Ok well it’s been a couple months so I’ll try and keep this forum updated in case anyone else is having the same issues as I am even if no one is responding to it. I adjusted passenger side valves and that certainly helped the shaking, but it’s still there. I took it to the shop to get it scanned and I guess injectors 6 and 8 are also bad. They didnt say what the metal clanging sound was though. I’m changing out the injectors right now though. My dad said the sound might be piston slap because 6 and 8 are right next to each other, so I suppose that would make sense. When pulling the driver’s side charge pipe, I noticed that there was some oil and soot in it, along with a little bit of metal shavings. How worried should I be about that? Obviously the metal is not a good sign. Hopefully the two new injectors fix it, because I’m sick of buying injectors for it. I will update this forum again once I finish changing them out. If it doesn’t fix it, any one need lb7 parts? Lol, wish me luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts