Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 duramax with a blown motor, I bought a motor for it out of a rollover that seemed to run fine when I went and looked at it but now that its in my truck it has no power and smokes like crazy-grey smoke at idle and black on acceleration. At first I though it would be the common injector problem with lb7s but I took it to the dealer and all injector balance rates were fine. What could be wrong with it?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Sounds like the turbo to me. Do you get any boost?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a boost gauge so i dont know for sure but I can hear the turbo spooling, should I get a gauge and make sure or is it good if I can hear the turbo spooling?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I dont have a boost gauge so i dont know for sure but I can hear the turbo spooling, should I get a gauge and make sure or is it good if I can hear the turbo spooling?
If you can hear it spooling you must be getting boost. Dont know much about these turbos but from previous cars and what not if your turbo is blown it will smoke like crazy i would assume with these that the smoke would seem much worse due to the diesel. But i do know from experience with no turbo there is a serious lack of power. Did you check the turbo out at all before the installation checking for shaft play or anything? It sounds to me like its the turbo but someone else might have some better ideas!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I didnt check it before I put the engine in but it sounds fine, Ill get a boost pressure and check how much boost its putting out though, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
ya sorry i couldn't pin point the problem!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i took it to the dealer and the right side intercooler line had a leak so the turbo wasnt building much boost,as soon as i put a new line on it was fine :rockin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts