Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got the 5" straight pipe installed so that leaves me with an edge attitude tuner and exhaust done to the truck. Where should I go now?

The truck itself feels pretty week especially after 50+, and the shifting seems kinda funny almost like it loads up maybe its a diesel thing? It's my first diesel.

I want to do tranny so im saving for that, I was thinking maybe selling the edge and getting an efi live tune from danville, heard nothing but good stuff about them. Whats everyone think?

Also, if my tranny has problems like slippage etc, can i still build it up or do i have to drop more money into it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Welcome !!! And EFI would be the best thing for your truck if you choose that route. Along with a built tranny that thing will feel like a built drag truck compared to that Edge tuner you have now. I reccommend ditching the Edge and going to either PPE/ATS or EFI live. Then the tranny build can come. As far as "beefing up" goes, theres not much you can do to the 5 speeds other than build it right the first time. Good luck !! Have fun

·
Registered
669 Posts
getting rid of that edge and upgrading to efi would be the next thing I would do along with a intake if you dont already have one. Then as you stated a transmission would be the next step. Then you can raise the tune some and grab yourself a lift pump to keep the fuel rail pressure up. Depending on what you want to do with the truck you could beef up the front end by add some tie-rod sleeves, and a set of cognito support braces. After all that is all said and done you will have a well built truck thats a lot of fun.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I havent heard any good things about the edge, so i would ditch it and go with something else. have heard efi is the way to go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ppe boost increase valve and profab air horn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How hard is the installation of the airdog and the intake horn? I wanna knock out as much as I can by own installation and take it in for the bigger stuff. I'm no diesel mechanic but google and youtube provides a lot of help for installing things lol.

How fast should a stock lb7 be? Mine is really slow without the chip, a lot slower than the lly i test drove the day I bought my lb7. My 02' ford dually with the v10 would wax the floor with it. Not tryin to have a debate or anything but im just wondering.

Thanks for the all the replies so far!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Just make sure you change the oil regularly, fuel filter every 10k miles, and make sure all your fluid levels are good. Look at and smell the tranny fluid. How many miles on the truck? An LB7 can be very very fast with upgrades. I agree they can be pigs stock, but tuning (EFI or PPE) can really wake them up. Build your tranny, add lift pump, and you will beat most trucks you race against. You'd have no problem outrunning that V10 then lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dmax! There is currently 132k miles on it. I read the manual, and someone wrote down the services done, changed all fluids including differential oil, etc. All 8 injectors were replaced about 20k miles ago. So looks good there.

What would be better? Someone told me ppe is better and most others say efi live is better. I like the occasional smoke tune if i had a choice im not into smoking people out but it does put a smile on my face when i see it rolling out my exhaust lol.

Tax time sounds like the best bet for the tranny. The truck is new to me so its hard to save up $4200 when i spend most my money in diesel, haha. I would say with the chip it would pretty easily dust the v10 lol.

Thanks again man!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks Dmax! There is currently 132k miles on it. I read the manual, and someone wrote down the services done, changed all fluids including differential oil, etc. All 8 injectors were replaced about 20k miles ago. So looks good there.

What would be better? Someone told me ppe is better and most others say efi live is better. I like the occasional smoke tune if i had a choice im not into smoking people out but it does put a smile on my face when i see it rolling out my exhaust lol.

Tax time sounds like the best bet for the tranny. The truck is new to me so its hard to save up $4200 when i spend most my money in diesel, haha. I would say with the chip it would pretty easily dust the v10 lol.

Thanks again man!
Not cool. That crap help put dpfs on trucks. :poke[1]:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Careful with smoke that is a very touchy subject around here. Efi is by the far the best you could ever do. It may be pricey depending on the way you go about it but there are many options that ppe does not offer. If money is a real issue then your second best would be a ppe tuner.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I agree with starting out with EFI, you'd never want anything else. If you buy from a reputable dealer, then you can get a pretty good deal on the tunes and license. They can also make you a custom smoke tune if you want..

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I have an LB7. They are pretty fast with the right upgrades. You have EDGE j/a? If so you can monitor slip in the trans. The Edge is only good for minitoring IMO. I had Edge J/A before I got EFI Live. It made my built trans slip... And gave me all kinds of codes. It sucked the life out of my truck. So watch your trans slip% and boost. The EDGE has a boost fooler, so you should see more than 24psi at some points. I had intake on my truck so It might make a difference... But I was seeing 30 peak psi.

I would say get:
- ppe boost valve for the whopping 30 bucks!
- Intake
- wastegate
- Lift pump (at least 150gph)
- Then your ready for some power with EFI Live... otherwise your pretty limited without these other mods.
- And as far as the tranny goes... They have some good EFI tunes for a stock trans if you can't afford it right away.

-Aaron-

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the talking about smoke but i know how it goes. Smoke isn't power, its unburnt fuel, etc. I just like to see it for myself. Is the boost valve pretty easy to put on?

I see like 26-27 psi with mine max on the edge chip.

As for the transmission slip, I see all the way up to like 55% slippage when im getting on it if the torque converter isn't locked up. Otherwise its usually at like 10-25% slippage goin up hills, or getting up to speed..etc. I just want to get the DIY's out of the way before I take it in, I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa and there are like no reputable shops around at least for modding diesels, except for Husker Diesel in Gretna which is like an hour and a half away which I will probably be driving to get stuff done.

As for the money situation, I am just gonna get efi live, no point in spending money and not getting the best so ill just get the best one first. I got quoted around $550 for dsp5 or whatever. Idk much about efi live or how it works but I am looking forward to learning all this stuff lol.

·
Registered
669 Posts
where in iowa are you? Towards the boost valve its a easy 5 minute install

·
Registered
230 Posts
my lb7 runs really good. last night i turned my ppe programmer up to 5 out of 6 settings just to see. havent run it on it before.. its insane! i can only imagine what efi would be like on my truck. ppe or efi is way to go. also look into bills custom intakes for a little better fuel mileage and faster spools. ppe boost valve. then of course airdog2 and build the tranny up. dont forget the little things like gauges
all it is is money man...pay to play

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 02 lb7 ran a mid 16 with the edge off and a 14.9 with the edge on 5 and a piss poor 60' time because of traction issues, but I agree with those that said go to EFI live, my edge was making my trans act funny on all power levels over 3, I was getting a bad flare shift and it would randomly go into limp mode, so I sold it and I'm running stock right now until I can afford an airdog and efi tuning

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Sorry for the talking about smoke but i know how it goes. Smoke isn't power, its unburnt fuel, etc. I just like to see it for myself. Is the boost valve pretty easy to put on?

I see like 26-27 psi with mine max on the edge chip.

As for the transmission slip, I see all the way up to like 55% slippage when im getting on it if the torque converter isn't locked up. Otherwise its usually at like 10-25% slippage goin up hills, or getting up to speed..etc. I just want to get the DIY's out of the way before I take it in, I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa and there are like no reputable shops around at least for modding diesels, except for Husker Diesel in Gretna which is like an hour and a half away which I will probably be driving to get stuff done.

As for the money situation, I am just gonna get efi live, no point in spending money and not getting the best so ill just get the best one first. I got quoted around $550 for dsp5 or whatever. Idk much about efi live or how it works but I am looking forward to learning all this stuff lol.
Oh man, that is way too much slippage. And the monitor should say N/A when the Torque converter is not locked up. The slip % it shows is when it's locked!!!

Get rid of the Edge ASAP. It is definately the cause of your power loss/ tranny slip. I bet if you go efi live you wont slip at all. It will give you more time to save for that trans.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is NO way you're slipping that much through the trans, the Allison will limp at 7% difference between the Input and output speeds, my guess is you're not reading the monitor correctly

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Just to clarify... Your not slipping your trans, It's your torque converter that is slipping up to 55%. It is designed to slip when not locked up, but shouldnt when locked. Yours is slipping when locked. It won't get any better unless you throw that EDGE unit away. Trust me I had the same problem.

I might suggest You get a Suncoast 1056 Torque Converter, and put a shift kit like TransGo Jr. for now. I'm not sure if TransGo Jr works on 5 speed Allison 1000's? But I'm sure they have something like it out there!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts