Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys i apologize in advance I'm sure you can see I'm new here. I've used the search bar not finding exactly what I'm looking for so I'm looking for some help.... i went and got my truck tuned last thursday works great by the way but while i was at the shop the mechanic noticed i have a boost leak at the boost tube due to egr cooler delete bc it braces the stock boost tube is what he said.... now he offered to fix it for $1149 with a pro-fab 3" Ybridge and a 3" pro-fab boost tube installed also i have a small exhaust leak on the up-pipe egr high rise he's gonna take off the up-pipe cut the egr high riser off and weld it.... is that a decent price or what???

now my real question is how hard is it to do all that myself is it a pretty simple task if i buy the parts and do it myself, take the up-pipe off take it to an exhaust shop and weld it like i explained above.... now I'm not the smartest mechanic in the world but i ain't completely dumb i haven't done anything like this before thats why I'm scared to bc i don't wanna mess my truck up if you know what I'm saying.... please help if you can i would love to do it myself if its not too crazy to do.... i have another vehicle so the truck could set if i need it too..:help:help:help:help

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so I am just gonna do it myself I guess I'll just dig it out as I go. But have a quick question. What is this plastic tube? And what does it do? Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's ur pcv line it let's excess pressure out so ur oil cap doesn't go flying haha

·
Registered
527 Posts
That plastic tube is waiting for your to do a PCV Re-Route. It vents the vaporized oil from your valve covers and is recirculated back into your intake to attempt a complete burn. Merchant Auto has a nice kit where you remove the plastic tube and cap off the intake horn and have the vaporized oil run anywhere else besides the intake. This will save your intake without gumming up anything from the oil film that is for sure in your IC charge pipes, turbo-vanes, and inter-cooler itself. The plastic tube gets brittle so be careful if you're not planning on the PCV Re-route...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how hard would it be to do since I'm already all tore apart

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered the pieces from a local shop $25 shipped to me. Thanks man. This forum is pretty helpful for a DIY and a learning purpose

·
Registered
527 Posts
^^It is indeed...glad you can find the answers!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What if I have cracked it where it bolts up?? Can I just re run the whole thing with rubber hose

·
Registered
527 Posts
What if I have cracked it where it bolts up?? Can I just re run the whole thing with rubber hose
You will essentially get rid of the plastic bridge tube all together. Buy a 1/2" tee (copper or plastic) and connect the tubes tot he tee and run the drain down driver's side frame rail and exit it near your oil filter...easy to see and stays out of the way while providing your intake no oil film any longer...rubber hose should work fine...it doesn't get terribly hot just be sure to route the hose away from high heat sources on top of engine...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I'm knocking on 240k miles

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
wish i wudda done the y bridge while mines been tore all apart, my egr riser broke too,after i had been deleted for couple years

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome good news. Um another question guys where do I loosen the turbo so I can kinda pick up on it??? And how many bolts are in the bridge???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.