Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 LBZ bone stock and I was going to get a 5 inch exhaust, turbo back, was wondering what would happen if I did that without doing an EGR delete, I've heard all it does is turn the check engine light on, but also heard even with the delete kit and doing an exhaust it will still come on, will it have any effects on power loss or anything in that matter if I just go ahead and do the exhaust before the delete?

·
Registered
247 Posts
It won't throw any codes or anything all it's gonna do is run better cause your getting rid of the restrictive catalytic converter and stock muffler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks greydmax! New to this forum and duramax's, made the transition from cummins, probably gonna do full exhaust, up pipes and cold air intake soon, then go to delete kit and so on!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Exhaust isn't going to throw any codes, EGR delete or block depends on whether or not your truck has the FE9 emissions code or not.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
The FE9 will throw a code just not set the SES light, my truck did it after I installed a 4" exhaust without a block plate..

EFI V2 has them setup this way:

EPA current DTC's

EPA Pending---should set this one just not the SES

MFG Set DTC's

MFG All DTC's

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have an FE9 truck, 4" exhaust and an EGR block plate. Zero codes or SES lights. Of course it's now completely deleted and has EFI.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm running a MBRP 4in turbo back. If I'm not running my tuner mine will throw a CEL every once in awhile for the egr flow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did my exhaust a few months before I deleted the EGR or got it tuned and it never threw any codes so I guess mines the FE9? Either way it's not gonna hurt anything at all man go ahead and do it if you want! There won't be a huge sound difference either way but I prefer 5" because you'll have a little bit deeper smoother sound with a nice deep rumble under hard acceleration. It will sound way better if you go ahead and do the turbo down pipe while your in there. It's a little tricky to install but nothing that I'm sure you can't handle and it's a great time to do it while your already into the exhaust anyways. The down pipe honestly makes just as big of a difference as the 5" exhaust will and I'm speaking from personal experience. I also like the fact that 5" exhaust has a smoother transition into you exhaust tip. :thumb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax 6.6. I just recently did a delete to a 4” straight pipe. And I had the truck tuned. I keep throwing and EGR CODE two days later after driving the truck. I get the code clear and it comes back in two days. Any suggestions on what it might be. The throttle body is unplugged and all three sensors for the EGR is unplugged.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The FE9 will throw a code just not set the SES light, my truck did it after I installed a 4" exhaust without a block plate..

EFI V2 has them setup this way:

EPA current DTC's

EPA Pending---should set this one just not the SES

MFG Set DTC's

MFG All DTC's
New to the duramax stuff and trying to fix a truck up to pull my car trailer with. How can I tell if mine is the "FE9" that you mentioned? Mine is a factory cab and chassis model, not sure if that matters. I am wanting to get rid of the egr mess and upgrade the exhaust but not really needing more power...

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
3,811 Posts
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax 6.6. I just recently did a delete to a 4” straight pipe. And I had the truck tuned. I keep throwing and EGR CODE two days later after driving the truck. I get the code clear and it comes back in two days. Any suggestions on what it might be. The throttle body is unplugged and all three sensors for the EGR is unplugged.
My guess is your tuning didn't delete the EGR. If you just unplug everything it is going to throw codes and no matter how much you clear them they'll come back.

What tuning are you using?

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
I know about the cheap hillbilly fix, I want it right!
Buy EFI Live and learn how to tune your truck but I believe the EPA may have forced them to remove the delete portions of their software.

A quick call to EFI Live is all it will take or are you asking for one of us to violate the EPA Clean Air Act for you?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Buy EFI Live and learn how to tune your truck but I believe the EPA may have forced them to remove the delete portions of their software.

A quick call to EFI Live is all it will take or are you asking for one of us to violate the EPA Clean Air Act for you?
OMG..... I am asking a simple question on how to make this truck last. According to the BS I am getting from you about simple questions I remember WHY I have only bought Cummins and Powerstrokes diesels over the last 20 years. On their forums questions are answered without having to explain my every move.

I will just sell this truck and buy another Ford or Dodge. At least I can get simple freaking questions answered without bs like this!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
I friend of mine was facing 49MM fine from the EPA last year for selling "race only" (delete) parts. He ended up closing his doors after paying a 6 figure penalty.

Why would anyone from this forum help a FNG violate Federal Emission laws? For all I no, you ARE the EPA...

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
3,811 Posts
New to the duramax stuff and trying to fix a truck up to pull my car trailer with. How can I tell if mine is the "FE9" that you mentioned? Mine is a factory cab and chassis model, not sure if that matters. I am wanting to get rid of the egr mess and upgrade the exhaust but not really needing more power...
There should be a sticker in your glove box with the code that indicates the emissions group it is in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.