Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input fellas. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do anything to my intake situation. Some say get an aftermarket CAI. Some say modify the stock box. Some say stock is just fine on the LBZ's. I'm looking for mpg's and more turbo noise and some more ponies never hurt. What you guys think?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You will get more noise out of an aftermarket pipe for the LBZ, however it flows more than enough air for your current setup, so it isn't needed much past the looks/sound department at this point.

·
Registered
271 Posts
seems that the metal intakes make more noise vs plastic. I put S&B on my truck and you can hear the turbo spooling a little more but wasnt that much

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just put a an AFe Metal Power intake on my LBZ and it made a big difference in hearing the turbo vs an S&B which i had on my old LLY.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I had a Airaid filter that just replaced the stock box. I run my stock ppe modded box in the winter.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My AFE intake did not make any more turbo noise than the stock intake.

·
BAD ASS LBZ that is
633 Posts
If you decide to go with an intake I have my banks Cai for sale. One of Tue best on the market at a good price. :drink

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BALBZ...what you wantin outta that Banks? Does it have a super scoop?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WisconsinMAX...what you think of your PPE modded stock? That's the main mod I been hearing about to the stock box.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Just get an aFe drop in for the stock box. Metal intakes make the turbo louder but they also increase intake air temps drastically. And we all know colder, denser air makes for better combustion and better performance. IF you are going to upgrade stick to a plastic, sealed box design.

·
BAD ASS LBZ that is
633 Posts
BALBZ...what you wantin outta that Banks? Does it have a super scoop?

It does not come with scoop and I'm looking to get 260 shipped

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I only saw a minimal increase in turbo noise when I installed my S&B. I could not tell a whole lot on performance either because It was already tuned. Fuel economy did not go up much as well. Maybe 1/2 mpg.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
WisconsinMAX...what you think of your PPE modded stock? That's the main mod I been hearing about to the stock box.
I think its fine. Its free to do. I had the stock box and Airaid box came with when I bought it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heres an idea for ya. I got a Banks Super Scoop from a guy that wasn't using it anymore and modded it to fit the stock intake. Took a little time but works nicely. The stock filter flows plenty. Plus, for me, I couldn't trade the 99.95% filter efficiency of the PowerCore filter but then again, it can be pretty dusty where I live.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys. Somehow the local mechanic who is a big duramax guy got me talked into an S&B system. Maybe I got sucked into it but he gave me a great deal haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been thinking about the ppe mod also.

I just bought the truck about a month ago. I went to do the mod, opened up the cover and there was a K&N filter in the truck. (Didnt know that.) I know, some dont like the K&N filter beacause of the MAF sensor. But that point aside, it got me thinking. Why cut up my stock box. Why not just leave the access cover off??? Suck to much hot air??? Does the full K&N intake "system" come with a new box or is it fully exposed?

·
Registered
243 Posts
what bout egt drop with an aftermarket intake on our trucks? with the metal and plastic anything noticeable?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts