Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, y'all may have seen me in a few of the other threads asking all kinds of random questions, but hopefully y'all can help me again. I am new to diesels, I have decided on either a lly or lbz. I'm wanting to stay under $17.5k. I'm wanting a ccsb 4x4. I have found a few trucks that I'm interested in but don't really know which one would be better for my needs/wants. The truck will be used mainly for daily driving and occasionally pullin my crawler and sometimes a 60 hp tractor. I want to get goop mpg, and have plenty of power whenever I want it. Not goin to be doing any kind of sled pulling or drag racing. I would like to find a stock one and do exhaust, efi live, y'all know, the usual stuff. My questions are, 1. Which do y'all think would be better for me? 2. Does it really mater or how many miles it has? Personally I would like to stay under 175,000. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can't go wrong with a LBZ, very good platform. Shouldnt have a problem finding one in your price range with 150kish miles or so.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I personally go with the LBZ, the LLY had overheating issues. My buddy in Austin, Tx had one for 8 mos and then traded it in for a Kia Forte.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Better chance t an LLY under 17.5K, but a high mileage LBZ might be available in an LS platform.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have added another question...

3. Should I be scared of a lbz with around 175k miles or more?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 170K on my lbz. Keep it maintained and youll be fine. Ive had no problems (knock on wood) and I drive with a heavy right foot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
once tuned theres really no diffrence between the 2 except for the lbz has better rods and lly has better pistons

·
Registered
374 Posts
There's a ton of differences between a LLY and a LBZ. LBZ is definitely worth it for many reasons, one of the main things is the 6 speed Ally.

I picked up mine with 200k for 14k. She's loaded minus sunroof and rear entertainment

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a ton of differences between a LLY and a LBZ. LBZ is definitely worth it for many reasons, one of the main things is the 6 speed Ally.

I picked up mine with 200k for 14k. She's loaded minus sunroof and rear entertainment
This is the kind of stuff I was really wantin to hear. I've had my eye on a 06 just like yours, fully loaded minus sunroof and rear DVD, aftermarket wheels, bedliner and gooseneck hitch with 180k for $16k. I have found a few similar to that. Just trying to decide if that's a good deal. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought an 06 CCSB with 134K miles on it for 18K there are deals out there you just have to look for them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
LBZ's are great motors. Plus a 6 speed allison and the last year duramax before a DPF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a quick comment. The 2006 LLY is different than the 04 and 05 LLY. I bought a 06 LLY/6 speed allison with 230K and it runs like a top. If you can find one with the 6 speed it is well worth it.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts

It depends on which LLY you're talking about. The 06 LLYs are essentially the same as an LBZ minus approx 40hp which is easily made up with a tune. The 04.5-05 LLYs have a wider range of differences such as restricted MP and 5 speed trans.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Just a quick comment. The 2006 LLY is different than the 04 and 05 LLY. I bought a 06 LLY/6 speed allison with 230K and it runs like a top. If you can find one with the 6 speed it is well worth it.
You're quicker than I am

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just put it this way, every 06 LLY is essentially a LBZ once EFI Live tuned...

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you want EFI Live with a DSP5 set up, I could be mistaken but I believe you can use the edge insight to switch power levels on an LLY and not have hard wire the switch into the ECM like you do have to on an LBZ. Not a huge deal but makes for a easier/cleaner install. 6 speed is nice, the LLY overheating can be solved with the correct air intake upgrades.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Eitthier choice is good if you really think about it, you can do a 6 speed conversion to the 5 speed and with a quick intake and mouthpiece the lly is then pretty good, we have plenty of high milage llys in my area

·
Registered
491 Posts
My 06 LLY has 442k miles and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the responses guys, really helpful info. Now, another question for y'all experts. I just recently came across a 07 classic gmc ccsb 4x4. It's got front and rear replacement, 20s , 33s , efi live dsp5, exhaust, intake. 230,000 miles and he's asking $17k. I think it's to high in my opinion, but if I could get him down a lil bit y'all think it sounds like a pretty good deal? I mean, the truck is beautiful and I really like it. Just wanna see what y'all think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts