Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally scraped together enough spare change to finally upgrade my 06 LBZ a bit. Stock, I've never been happier with any other vehicle, needless to say I love this truck.

The down side, I've only got about 1500$ to spend on it until next year.
I've got a price for a 4" straightpipe exhaust for 500$+200$ installed
Priced out EFI live options (after seeing everyone recommending them here) with EGR block is 900$
I also want EGT/Boost gauges which I haven't priced out yet
Place I went to also recommended I get a new exhaust manifold for 300$

A friend of mine has an Edge evolution CS race that works on my truck (tested it out) that I can get for 250$

What I'm thinking is getting the exhaust a must, but I am mechanical. Would I be able to install this exhaust system myself easily or is it worth the 200$ spent at a shop?
As for tuning, while I would prefer EFI live, the Edge CS would give me a bit of a tune while giving me all the gauges I want as well. I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice about the Edge tuners? (Not just saying they are crap and go with EFI live)
If I got an EGR blocking plate, or EGR delete kit, would the Edge make the code go away?

Right now, I'm leaning towards exhaust installed (700$) Edge CS race (250$) And EGR delete (Not sure how much this cost yet or which way to go about it)
Thanks for your time and advice

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
welcome to the forum

get an exhaust and efi quote from someone good on here. put the exhaust on yourself it's very simple. that edge tuner is not worth the money cuz you'll will want efi down the road that as easy as explanation as i can make! gauges are a great idea anytime you get tuning done!

efi auto cal 650
exhaust 300-500
edge insight for gauges 300-400
egr blocker plate 15

good start but only gets more addicting! next i'd think about pump rub fix kit, pcv reroute, and either a lift pump or nicktane cat filter upgrade

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. Also need to mention I'm in Canada, so ordering stuff online can be just a bit costly.

Where would you recommend looking for an exhaust system? I've tried local auto parts stores/diesel performance shops and for a 4" turboback straightpipe it seems to be 500-600$ for the kit.

Dirtymax-Where did you order that from? I'd definitely be interested if they ship to canada

Should note, the Edge is evolution cs.

Also had another question, a friend of mine has a set of torsion keys to lift my front end. Is this a wise idea or should I leave it stock? It's got a bit of a rake to it right now because I've got airbags in the back. I drive 40% highway, 40% paved country roads and 20% logging/dirt roads. Worried about my IFS front end wearing out prematurely.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
4" MBRP, EGR blocker and EFI Live. Skip the manifolds you not need them and install the exhaust yourself, takes a Couple of hours. Do the transfer are pump rub mod kit and TransGo Jr.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Post a price request on the vendors section. State you live in Canada and want the quote to include shipping.

If you want to dive into a tuner and the edge is cheap, then I say go for it. Just know you will likely want to change to efi as you upgrade your truck. Personally, my lbz is stock, and I'm planning on efi first. I'll worry about my exhaust later. Tuners give the best bang for buck. IMO.

Good luck and have fun :thumb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will be going EFI down the road. 100% but for now, 350$ for the edge evolution for a very mild tune and to have all the gauges makes too much sense right now.

DieselX-Darryl has been messaging me, and has been extremely helpful. 4" MBRP is now ordered. Installing myself.

What is the pump rub mod? I can't seem to find information on it.

If I order the edge EGR blocker plate, I'm assuming I will throw a code. Does anyone know if the Edge evolution will clear this code?

And still wondering if I level out my front end using torsion keys, will that cause premature wear on my front end? (first IFS truck)

Thank you for all your advice guys. I really appreciate it, you've helped me spend lots of money I don't quite have yet! :D

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Merchant auto sells the pump rub fix kit. Has to do with a plate in the t case that can wear a hole through the case.

Being in Canada, you should be fine to do the egr block plate without a CEL popping up. Check the glove box, has a sticker with a bunch of codes, look for FE9, if it's there your 100% good. Any questions just pm me, be happy to help a fellow canadian.

Merchants kit. http://www.merchant-automotive.com/transfer-case-pump-upgrade-kit.aspx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truck is originally a US truck. But will check the glovebox tomorrow.

Will get that pump rub fix. Thank you.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
live on Vancouver island in Bc, Canada.
had one of my front bearings start making noise this morning. budget might get smaller. :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Place I went to also recommended I get a new exhaust manifold for 300$
#12637647 - MANIFOLD, GM Parts direct $58.00 plus shipping, reuse your old gasket.

PIA installation, but worth the money. Same performance as the $300 manifolds.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do the exhaust first!!!! Search for Ppe air box mod on there sight.buy a afe pro dry drop in filter 80 bucks.the pcv re-route will definitely help the longevity of the truck.you can buy the stuff at a hardware stuff for like 45 $.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd say wait for the Idaho rob tunes if you decide to tune..I did Ppe first and man was I in for a surprise when I got my efi live from rob.Ppe is still great .but efi from rob takes the cake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
live on Vancouver island in Bc, Canada.
had one of my front bearings start making noise this morning. budget might get smaller. :(
You can pick up a new Timken front wheel bearing from dmaxstore.com for roughly 200 bones plus shipping. Its a fairly straight forward install. Go with efi live from any of the supporting vendors. You won't regret it. I personally run Idaho Robs and love it. Ask for Dustin he'll hook ya up. And also with EFI live you ll be able to disable the egr and not have to worry about codes.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
did the entire front end on my truck 3-4 weeks ago if you have tools you are golden. o just make sure you have a 36 mm socket for the nut that holds the cv axle in. otherwise its a breeze and its alot cheaper than any shop

1 - 20 of 27 Posts