Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this increase performance at all? I've heard it helps but what does it do to the LLY turbo?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think you're referring to an LBZ mouth piece. I only over heated with my LLY towing once but havent had a issue after the mouthpiece

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put it on mine. Its amazing how restrictive the lly one is in comparison to the lbz mouthpiece. Turbo spool is way quicker and there is a lot more torque. I would highly recommend that you do it.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
adding the lbz mouth piece is a good idea. helps with over heating, spools better and lowers egt. well worth the mod

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're referring to an LBZ mouth piece. I only over heated with my LLY towing once but havent had a issue after the mouthpiece
yeah LBZ! did y'all do it yourself or pay to have it installed? how much was it?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
yeah LBZ! did y'all do it yourself or pay to have it installed? how much was it?
I did it myself, it's pretty straight froward. Just pull the Resonator off the top. Pull the PCV hose off. Then loosen the band clamp and pull the MP off. Mine was full of oil from the PCV so I did the re-route as well. You'll probably need a LBZ intake too as the LBZ MP is longer. I think I payed $100 for the MP

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
if you dont want to modify the intake use a S&B or AFE, the OEM LBZ will require you to modify the intake tube to fit

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
What brand do you guys recommend? Or is it literally putting a stock lbz mp on the lly truck?
Yep. New with old...

Much larger/longer in size, you'll need to cut back (just past the yellow tag) the flex intake piece to fit, along with adding a new and larger coupler.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What brand do you guys recommend? Or is it literally putting a stock lbz mp on the lly truck?
I'd go with the stock LBZ MP since it's larger than the AFE and S&B

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My vote on an lly is always for an lbz mouthpiece with an S&B LBZ intake(or another brand if you prefer). The stock lly mouthpiece sucks, and the stock lly intake kinda sucks too. Get both pieces made for the LBZ and there's no cutting, just much better breathing.
Of course there is the minor MAF rescale issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just installed the factory LBZ MP on my 2005 LLY. I have a Banks Ram Air intake and although it actually fit perfectly inside the LBZ MP I trimmed a couple of inches off of the intake so that the diameter was actually as close to the 3 7/8" ID of the MP. (The banks intake has a tapered end to connect to the stock LLY MP)

I had to grind down the seam on the LBZ MP because it was hitting my EGR pipe and I didn't have the kit to delete it yet (hopefully near future). I used baby powder on top of the intake to see if the hood was hitting when closed. (The sierras have a lower hood design i think than silverados)

It is a noticeable difference is my normal daily driving on take offs and acceleration.

If you're interested in the banks, check this out (not my install)
Banks Ram Air & LBZ Mouthpiece on 2005 LLY - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Whoops, sorry didn't notice my phone leaving the wrong word

1 - 20 of 66 Posts