Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I have been trying to correct this overheating issue forever now and am not sure what to do next my fifth wheel is about 11k and anytime I tow up any hills the truck coolant gets up to 240 250 in no time. my egts arfe 14-1500 scary stuff. so far I have cleaned my cooling stack flushed the radiator while I had it out new thermostats water pump is about a year old. I have s475 over stock with a built trans and my egts have always seemed high but when towing it is out of control. I don't know where else to check I am thinking its possibly a tuning issue but im not sure any advice is greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and I have replaced my fan clutch with the hayden also with no change

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you’re sure the cooling stack is clean, like really clean, then you need to get those egts in check. Have you tried keeping the engine speed up by using a lower gear than the trans controller is using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I power washed the cooling stack last summer didn’t help so this year I took everything out and made sure the stack was clean this weekend was my first time towing with it after cleaning. And I normally kick it down a gear when climbing but egt’s stay pretty high and I drop to 15 below the speed limit but still overheats. I was hoping with the twin turbo I could at least do the speed limit but I could be wrong

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes I power washed the cooling stack last summer didn’t help so this year I took everything out and made sure the stack was clean this weekend was my first time towing with it after cleaning. And I normally kick it down a gear when climbing but egt’s stay pretty high and I drop to 15 below the speed limit but still overheats. I was hoping with the twin turbo I could at least do the speed limit but I could be wrong
You’ve got a heavily modified truck. Sounds like you need better tuning to lower the egts, more cooling from the radiator and cac, and probably more air movement through the engine compartment to lower your under hood temps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will see about getting some new tuning I am hoping that is the issue

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If you power washed the stack, did you bend the crap out of a bunch of the fins?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like bad tuning for towing purposes to me .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did hit the a/c with the power washer wand then spent about 45 minutes straightening out the fins

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, I can't comment on ways to bring EGTs down, but it does sound like your mods and tuning might not be ideal for towing. For cooling, the LLYs (I got one) are notorious for running too hot. The best solution has been an auxiliary radiator, mounted below the stock radiator behind the front bumper, which catches a separate air flow. Being behind the bumper might take some creative work to get a good air flow to the radiator. The only source I know for aux radiator kits is coolertowing dot com.

Reactions: Austin327

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I was pulling my TT on my “light tow” tune and noticed higher EGTs than if I used the proper “heavy tow” tune. Less power (+30hp I think) but safer for the engine.

Reactions: shotgunwillie69

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was pulling my TT on my “light tow” tune and noticed higher EGTs than if I used the proper “heavy tow” tune. Less power (+30hp I think) but safer for the engine.
Safer for trans, too. I agree with the consensus that OP's truck doesn't seem to be tuned to pull. The hardware is all there, now the computer just needs to know how to string it all together better.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Put me in the tuning camp. That turbo set up should deliver lower than stock EGT's with proper tuning

Reactions: shotgunwillie69

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was thinking. does anyone know if ppei is still doing tuning? I was going to go with them or atp but I have heard rumors that ppei isn't doing it anymore with all the epa stuff going on

·
Registered
370 Posts
Finding a tuner is hard right now, especially if you're looking for tuning that circumvents your truck's factory installed emissions equipment. I, for one, won't be posting names of tuners in the open forums anymore. It's suspected that the EPA has used forums like this to locate companies they need to watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok if anyone has any tips to possibly adjust the tune myself or any options please pm me. been calling around but seems like most tuning is dead maybe its just time to buy a new truck thank you

·
Registered
297 Posts
Unless you can find someone to program it or start using it strictly "off road", you might be right. There's a reason why a lot of heavily modded diesel pickups are currently for sale.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Unless you can find someone to program it or start using it strictly "off road", you might be right. There's a reason why a lot of heavily modded diesel pickups are currently for sale.
Trading mine in tonight. The added performance isn't worth the potential headache in my mind. I have a suspicion states will be required federally to all have vehicle inspections done; my guess is it will be tied to receiving federal funding for roads. My state currently doesn't require inspections, but I don't want to be stuck with no options if that happens. Yeah I know I'm probably spending too much time with my tinfoil hat on, but watching the way the EPA has been able to come down on the diesel performance industry in the last two years has me thinking this isn't the crest of the wave yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Trading mine in tonight. The added performance isn't worth the potential headache in my mind. I have a suspicion states will be required federally to all have vehicle inspections done; my guess is it will be tied to receiving federal funding for roads. My state currently doesn't require inspections, but I don't want to be stuck with no options if that happens. Yeah I know I'm probably spending too much time with my tinfoil hat on, but watching the way the EPA has been able to come down on the diesel performance industry in the last two years has me thinking this isn't the crest of the wave yet.
Oh no, I don’t think your completely wrong at all. I don’t have any immediate plans to mod my LBZ but if I do, it won’t be anything that I can’t easily reverse, if something like that were to happen.

I’ve actually be considering buying up all of the deleted parts that people have laying around just as a small side business of reselling it considering there are going to be plenty of people who will be doing that before long, I think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts