Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I pull a big 5th wheel and recently installed mishimoto 180 thermostats and a Kodiak fan clutch the truck is now unstoppable temps never go over 200 any hill any weather

Reactions: smeezy

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I pull a big 5th wheel and recently installed mishimoto 180 thermostats and a Kodiak fan clutch the truck is now unstoppable temps never go over 200 any hill any weather
what are you considering heavy 5th wheel

·
Registered
108 Posts
15-16,800 depending on water and toys

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
15-16,800 depending on water and toys
Is the truck tuned or stock? pulling 15,500 I see over 200 quite a bit. The only thing I have not done is add the Kodiak fan, Otherwise clean cooling stacks radiators flushed all new coolant and new Stats. I always run 5th gear locked Tow haul mode and a 30 HP tune from ATP, I have run it in modified stock and it can get warm there also.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Factory t-stats are 185-186. I don’t see dropping them 5-6 degrees making that big of a difference. If SENs truck is capable of doing exactly what he says it’s capable of doing, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people that are dying to know EXACTLY what his truck has done to it so they can mirror it in theirs. Myself included.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
And the source of those constant 200* temps. The truck stock gauge is not known for accuracy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Factory t-stats are 185-186. I don’t see dropping them 5-6 degrees making that big of a difference. If SENs truck is capable of doing exactly what he says it’s capable of doing, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people that are dying to know EXACTLY what his truck has done to it so they can mirror it in theirs. Myself included.
My pickup has factory t-stats and i decided i'm going to replace them. I bought a pair of the COOL Mishi's b/c its a drop in the right direction without too much to hurt me in the winter months. I have no expectation I will notice a difference other than my idle temps being just above 174 instead of just above 180. Assuming these gauges work.

I tried testing them in a pot on the stove with a digital thermometer but they were barely opening at their set temps. Not too knowledgeable on them. Maybe they start cracking at the set temp and then fully open at a slightly higher temp? I dunno.

And the source of those constant 200* temps. The truck stock gauge is not known for accuracy.
Good catch. I have a photo i've posted on here showing my CTS2 reading 181 and dash gauge reading 210.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
My pickup has factory t-stats and i decided i'm going to replace them. I bought a pair of the COOL Mishi's b/c its a drop in the right direction without too much to hurt me in the winter months. I have no expectation I will notice a difference other than my idle temps being just above 174 instead of just above 180. Assuming these gauges work.

I tried testing them in a pot on the stove with a digital thermometer but they were barely opening at their set temps. Not too knowledgeable on them. Maybe they start cracking at the set temp and then fully open at a slightly higher temp? I dunno.

Good catch. I have a photo i've posted on here showing my CTS2 reading 181 and dash gauge reading 210.
Starting lower (earlier opening stats) will just make a vehicle run cooler when not loaded hard, in my experiences. If the cooling system(s) can’t keep up, they can’t keep up.

Anyone with a link to this Kodiak fan clutch? I swear I’ve read probably every forum thread on Duramax cooling issues and I’ve yet to see this particular brand mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
368 Posts
Starting lower (earlier opening stats) will just make a vehicle run cooler when not loaded hard, in my experiences. If the cooling system(s) can’t keep up, they can’t keep up.

Anyone with a link to this Kodiak fan clutch? I swear I’ve read probably every forum thread on Duramax cooling issues and I’ve yet to see this particular brand mentioned.

This?

·
Registered
108 Posts
sorry I made it sound like all you need is thermostats and a clutch and your good to go and that's not the case the truck is very moded I need to update my parts list I spent lots of time with a thermal imaging camera slowly picking off all the dumb stuff and when I did the stats and clutch it all came together

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
sorry I made it sound like all you need is thermostats and a clutch and your good to go and that's not the case the truck is very moded I need to update my parts list I spent lots of time with a thermal imaging camera slowly picking off all the dumb stuff and when I did the stats and clutch it all came together
So then what are all your cooling mods? The only way to remove heat is by giveing it less BTU OR remove more than you put in quicker

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
If referring to mine my temps are read from my CTS

21 - 32 of 32 Posts