Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am tearing into my 2007 Classic right now to investigate the P0299 code.
Been reading up on this forum about fixes for this DTC. I see alot of people report that there are 2 O-rings that deteriorate over time and could be one of the causes. Seems likely since my truck is all stock except for a CAI and it has @347k miles on it, I so decided to take a look at mine.

When I got started everything seemed tight as could be and there is a ton of grease / grime on everything. I have it blown apart right now and these O-rings seem to be in good shape. Other than cleaning everything up good and reassembling with no trouble found there - is there something else that I should investigate while I am in here?

Thanks in advance members!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it all put back together and cleared the code. Went for a ride and CEL came back on. This time it is P2563. Did a little more research and decided to clean the Vane Position Sensor with my fingers crossed that this fixes it and I am not looking at a turbo replacement.

It was pretty dirty. I cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and noticed that it was a little scored on the tip. Not sure if that is the problem or not so I put it back in. I am going on a test drive and will report back.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive it about 30 miles yesterday afternoon with one cold start / 3 warm starts and a combination of city traffic driving and a couple WOT pulls up to 80mph pulling down the I-40 on ramp. No codes thrown yet.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Make sure MAF and MAP are clean. Other than that, you may have had a compromised induction connection that you repaired by taking it apart and putting it back together.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure MAF and MAP are clean. Other than that, you may have had a compromised induction connection that you repaired by taking it apart and putting it back together.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I cleaned both of those 3 weeks ago with MAF cleaner when I first got the P0299. When it came back a few days later, I decided to check out the O-rings.

Drove another 25 miles so far today and no CEL.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well damn.

I also had to prime the fuel filter after parking it overnight on a fairly steep upgrade with the front higher than the rear. I could hearing hissing and see fuel dripping from the water sensor on the bottom of the filter as I pumped it. I have a new Baldwin fuel filter and an OEM sensor in the toolbox that I plan to swap in at the next oil change.

After running for @30 seconds the P2563 code came back.

Don't think those are related, but thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I could hearing hissing and see fuel dripping from the water sensor on the bottom of the filter as I pumped it.
If you have fuel dripping OUT, under vacuum the same place will probably leak vacuum IN. At least you knew where to fix the problem

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every since changing out the fuel filter last week and putting the "Stock with options" tune back in it I have not gotten any of the CEL / DTCs that I was getting regularly.
I was running the "Economy" tune with my Banks Automind handheld before.

Could these really be related to P0299, P003A and P2563? IDK.......

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a bit confused if the tune or me cleaning up stuff made the difference, but I have 530 miles in varying driving / loaded conditions with no CEL.

I also hand calculated that I had a MPG improvement. 13.3 -> 14.5

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Filled up again last night and hand calculated my milage.

440.1 miles
26.9 gallons
16.3 mpg

This entire tank I purposely drove only back roads and kept my speeds under 65mph. Definitely had a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts