Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck kept dying a few seconds after starting, so I rebuilt the fuel filter head with Merchant's rebuild kit and it worked for about six weeks, never had a problem. This morning the problem arose again, and I had to prime it manually. I'm about to say F it and just get an Airdog. Why would the engine lose prime again?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
i've seen bad fuel filters do this. what do you have? a wix or something of that nature?

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Do grab a Racor or AC DELCO, see if that helps. We have seen this with the wix before after prolong use and some cases short

May or may not be the culprit but worth the try

On the lift pump, its a recommended mod for the duramax for fuel system longevity, injector longevity, filtration and optimized fuel pressure under all acceleration conditions

Reactions: SilverGorillaLML

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Why would the engine lose prime again?
Not all wear components in the filter head are serviceable, sometimes replacing the O-rings works and other times it doesn't. Or, the prime issue raises it's ugly head again months later.

Since the rebuild kit requires a new filter install and the success rate diminishing as the original filter head ages, it just makes more sense to replace the whole filter head assembly (new head, Racor filter, heater, WIF sensor) with new ($110-$120) and be done with it. Plus it's quicker and easier to install, no filter removal, just two bolts-prime and go.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
CAT filters should NOT be used as the primary filter.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Same price
Won't fix a prime problem in the filter head, won't filter any better than the Racor, and as pointed out above, it offers no water protection.

You may just have a problem with the Wix filter, hard to say without swapping it out for a Racor or Baldwin.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
And, you may just have a crack in the fuel hose right at the filter head.
It gets pretty bent & twisted - like we do when the truck won't start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've seen bad fuel filters do this. what do you have? a wix or something of that nature?
Do grab a Racor or AC DELCO, see if that helps. We have seen this with the wix before after prolong use and some cases short

May or may not be the culprit but worth the try

On the lift pump, its a recommended mod for the duramax for fuel system longevity, injector longevity, filtration and optimized fuel pressure under all acceleration conditions
Won't fix a prime problem in the filter head, won't filter any better than the Racor, and as pointed out above, it offers no water protection.

You may just have a problem with the Wix filter, hard to say without swapping it out for a Racor or Baldwin.

UPDATE: Y'alls information was spot on. Got an AC Delco on there now and she's runnin' great again. No more issues. Can't thank you enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.