Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled my transmission after the torque converter went bad. While I had it out, I decided to pull it apart and inspect the internals. Mind you, I have built one of these transmissions in the past with good success on my LB7. I found the C3 clutches had a little more wear than I liked so I bought a new clutch pack from ATS. I found the C4s had some wear but not too bad. After all was said and done, I got it back together with a new torque converter and installed it back into the truck.

I took it for a test drive and everything shifted great and the torque converter locked like normal. The only thing I noticed was that when I decelerate in 1st or 2nd gear to the point that the engine is holding the truck back, I get a grinding sound that sounds very similar to a "zipper".

I am wondering if anyone has any info on this before I pull the trans back out and pull it apart again.

thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you install the steel spacer under the plastic washer on the P2 planet?
No, one did not come with the c3 clutch kid I ordered from ATS. Is that something I am supposed to add separately? I know my other Suncoast build had that extra spacer but I thought maybe that's just for an upgraded c4 pack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, one did not come with the c3 clutch kid I ordered from ATS. Is that something I am supposed to add separately? I know my other Suncoast build had that extra spacer but I thought maybe that's just for an upgraded c4 pack.
?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many clutches ( frictions ) did you install in the C3?
This is the C3 clutches looking from the tail housing side. As you can see the inner splines furthest forward have some wear. The P1 planetary also had some markings on its splines on the end as well.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts