Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

New to the forum and decided to reach out after looking over a bunch of items. 2006 LBZ (210,000 miles) with 4" straight exhaust is making a new noise since doing some aggressive trails about a week ago. This is the exact sound at 15 seconds:

I've been driving this truck for close to 150,000 miles and have never heard this before. To add to the noise, I've also been getting a P003A code but that has been happening for about a year. If I reset the code, it will stay off for weeks before coming back on. Noise is still present after resetting the code. I've done some research on this forum, and many people say its normal but I disagree. It's always had 4" exhaust and if it is normal, why is it just starting after 150,000 miles of driving the truck?

Any help or direction would be much appreciated. Before I go an replace a turbo, I'd like to make sure I've checked all the other boxes off of the list. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Can you watch your desired and actual vane position and see if it stays close togwther?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you watch your desired and actual vane position and see if it stays close togwther?

What exactly is the process to do that? Also I have a very basic code reader. What do I need in terms of tools to accomplish this?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Either a better scan tool, or an Edge monitor works as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a quick follow up for those that have the same problem. I found that the band clamp that holds the downpipe to the back of the turbo broke causing the downpipe to disconnect creating a leak. Was able to replace the clamp and now the noise is gone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts