Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im new here and have been lurking about looking at all the info on these trucks, theres a lot of valuable information here but I cant seem to find any ideas on my current problem.
I removed the passenger side up pipe due to the broken bellows problem, in going back together how do you keep the gasket in place while fastening it to the turbo side?
Thanks for any ideas, or assistance

·
Registered
139 Posts
Starting from the perspective you leaning on the motor, grab a bolt (any of your choice) put the bolt through a lifting so the gasket gets through the hole, grab another bolt an put it though with the other hole, by then it’s close enough to start tightening the two bolts but not tight, just get them started then put the last one in an feel an make sure the gasket is lined up an finger tight them, then wrench
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also don’t tighten the bottoms any at all, someone that does it everyday might say different but it was easier for me to start the top an go to the bottom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the new gaskets should arrive tomorrow, heres a few pic's of how I chopped up the pipe to eliminate the EGR cooler stub, used a piece of the cut-off to cap the hole

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As luck would have it, they only sent me the top gasket with the lower due tomorrow, I've assembled everything up top, broke the trans dip stick mount, and had to make a new one (grrrr) so hopefully Thursday afternoon I'll be back on the road...Got grandkids to visit
thanks for the tips Super

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey no problem I hoped it helped! Did you get the parts on time an was you able to make your trip?
Also I should of said in the first post but I put anti seize on everything I take off pretty much, it’s a lot easier the next time around!
Sorry so late 16+ hour work days an 2 kids makes for a very short Fourm life!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts